Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,276   Online: 1208

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chrisl @ Mar 27 2003, 07:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> But just LOOK at the size of this neg. compared to 35mm&#33; WOW&#33; </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    From the first time I pulled my scratched under processed first neg out of the unicolor drum, I knew 35mm was going to start collecting dust, and I also knew that 4x5 wasn&#39;t big enough... Still drooling over an 8x10... one day soon....
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wait,

You and Chris did large format photography without film holders?

And I can vouch for those 2500 series jobo tanks with the film holder. I used that system for years before getting the Expert and a motor base. They work great, and I never had streaking or mottling of any kind. The ONE drawback is that they use a lot of chemistry.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My 1st 4x5 processing went really well. I used the tray method and did 1 piece at a time (that&#39;s how paranoid I was). But it was worth it. Think about all the time wasted trying to get the drum to work, you could have already made a lot of good negs using trays instead.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just a few suggestions. I use a vacum cleaner to clean my holders every time I load them. I use a bush that is used only for my film holders. I have no problems with dust. Most of us started with trays but I find that the processing is not as even as it should. Expose some film on a smooth textureless surface for zone V and tray develope. There tends to be higher densities in the center because of the agitation.

I personally use HP combi tanks. I have one tank for each step, from presoak to washing, ready and waiting before I start. Once you immerse the holder, the film is always in solution. I work in total darkness so I can transfer the holder from tank to tank, then snap on the lid and turn on the lights. I like them because you can use various agitation techniques, plus compensating development more effectively. Plenty of famous photographers use JOBO and if you want to spend the money and play with cogs and wheels and tanks, be my guest.

Darkroom work is not rocket science. It is more like following a recipe for a soufflé. As your technique and skills improve, so will your results.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ony Aggie forgot her holders David. She shot her Mamiya instead. I on the other hand broght dust infested holders...oh, and I forgot to tell you all too I lost an additional 2 images to stuck negatives to the inside of the holder apparantly b/c I got moisture inside. I think I dropped in a field of wet grass...or the rain might&#39;ve done it too. (One was the cool huge bellows shot Aggie ). LOL Definetely lived and learned this round LOL...Oh, and Brian, I&#39;m already jones&#39;ing for an 8x10 as well&#33; Just the site of these negs makes me wonder what an 8x10 neg would look like hehe Heck, on ebay, you can get a B&J field camera for a couple of hundred and plus with a lens. Maybe one day lol

Well, going to shoot "something" this weekend to get some more practice in with this camera and loading and such before we leave for Europe in a couple weeks. I figure I&#39;ve got to learn to be more graceful, and cleaner, this next round. Oh boy am I in trouble LOL

Thanks again for everyones help&#33;&#33;
    Chris

Aggie,

It&#39;s a cool exercise to not use a meter and really try to intuitively read the light. I used to have a fuji 6x9 with no meter so I found myself doing it all the time, but I was always hesitant.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When you vacuum out your film holders - dont forget to vacuum out your camera&#33; - also - you have a lipstick brush for your lenses .. right? -- brush off your film holders before you load them in your camera. I know that when you put that static charged film holder in the camera - it not only draws in the dust from the dark slide, it also sucks it in from inside the camera&#33;&#33; - Never fear - you will overcome these obsticals&#33; LF photographers truely are the keepers of fine art B&W. - Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Here&#39;s a followup. I ordered a Harrison tent/ the normal size that handles 4x5 and 8x10 just in case. Hope it&#39;s not too unruly in size as I&#39;ve seen the Pup one and it&#39;s not small lol But I&#39;ll be ok if I ever go 8x10.

And, Boy, now that I&#39;ve got everything, I can see why choosing lightweight gear is important&#33; My film holders take up an entire small drink cooler just in themselves&#33; lol But I cleaned them real well, dusted off with Ilfords antistatic cloth, blew them off with canned air and have them individually stashed in ziplock bags ready to load.

Thanks for all the suggestions&#33; I really appreciated them&#33;
    Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin