Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,499   Online: 856

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just finished buying 3 Grafmatics. Should reduce the bulk considerably. So in the space of 3 holders (fat ones anyway) I have 18 sheets of film.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Hi Chris,

A few quick tips on the UniColor thing. (I got Eric doing it..so anybody should be able to... :>) ) ...just kidding Eric.

1. Practice the loading / unloading with old film in daylight until it is really easy

2. Gently fold the emulsion side in when loading each sheet

3. Load a sheet ( each side) and slide with a small push of your finger on top edge of film to the bottom of the drum.

4. Clip on clamp (clothes pin) to v- channel near top of drum

5. Slowly while pinching open clothes pin - slide towards bottom until you gently bump up against the sheets already in drum.

6. Add 2 more sheets until they just clear top lip of drum (feel with fingers in dark)

As for unloading..here is the easy tip.

1. After all the washing is done just set drum in sink with top lid facing upwards.

2. Take off lid and fill drum with proper temperature water.

3. Stick your hand in and gently (you can feel the clothes pin) slide up each top sheet

4. Sometimes the sheet will catch on the lip of drum but with a little care it will easily slide by. (work on this)

5. Gently (while pushing up frm below) grasp a corner of the sheet and remove.

6. Hang to dry and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

Hope this helps.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Those Grafmatic film holders are nice, and are a significant wt. savings. The only drawback is one must have a graflock back. I may move upto this system one day.

And Thanks GreyWolf! That does help. Filling the tank with water at the end to facilitate getting them out unscathed is great! That, and some needed practice should do the trick. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just curious... How much developer would someone use in the big 16x20 Unidrums?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You don't actually need a Graflok back to use a Grafmatic--just enough clearance under the groundglass to slip it in, since it's thicker than a traditional filmholder. If you can try one out and discover that it doesn't fit, sometimes it is possible to add washers or spacers to give you a little more room for Grafmatics, Polaroid holders, rollfilm holders, etc.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Really David? Boy, did I get that wrong. Glad to hear that as well. I would've gone that route had I known! Oh well. Good to know for the future. Maybe one day I'll try some mf roll film in a holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris, calumet sells a roll film holder that fits ours just fine. They have all the 6x whatevers you would want. I love 6x12 negatives. Nice thing is it works like a film holder not an attachment like the ones that need a graflock back.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I've got one of those. What a price, I paid about $400 used for it and I've used it less than a dozen times. Plus the damn thing can barely be used with Konica infrared. I had to make a metal darkslide for it as the plastic one was IR permeable and the seals leak IR pretty bad too. The IR film was the main reason I bought it too. GRRRR.
    I also had to cut a film holder for my Beseler from a smaller size.
    As for panoramas its easier to shoot 4x5 full frame and crop.
    One of these days I'll find something really good to use it for.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A quick measurement shows that a Grafmatic is 15/16" at its thickest point, so if you can clear an inch under the groundglass, you should be able to use one.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since Chris and I have the same camera, and I know I can, he should be able to.

Gary if you don't want that back, I'll buy it from you! seriously.
    I took a 6X9 negative holder from beseler and cut it out and finished it for a 6x12
    Non Digital Diva

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin