Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,983   Online: 866

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    What are the reasons for these claims?

Film is an emulsion coated onto a plastic base and it lasts a lot longer than that.

Steve.
    I have no idea, the Kodak and GAF reps visited most of the AF photo labs and we were all told 10 years, I also seem to recall a technical order update that gave the same time line. I know that Kodak does lab work in which products are artifically aged, but I dont know the details, maybe PE does. I left the photo lab shortly after that, but most of the newspapers and wire services were also moving towards RC, for the same reasons they moved to digital. By the early 80 RC had really improved. I still like FB graded better than RC, but I am not too concerned about archival properties.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    To each his own for sure but I don't think it's fair to say that Agfa MCP RC prints look better than prints on Ilford Galerie. I believe in this case it has more to do with the way YOU print than the paper itself. Take a negative that was targeted to that particular grade of Ilford Galerie and skillfully printed and I doubt the results would be the same. Shawn
    Shawn has a point here.
    I have never found a RC paper that give the same delicate separation in tone in the deep shadow areas and highlight that most FB papers can.
    But RC does have its uses.
    Regards,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    I dont see why a RC print will not last 75 to 100 years, at least in storage.
    The problem is that I like to see my photographs! Keeping the photographs chilled in a box in the bottom drawer of a file cabinet in a dark basement at the foot of a stairway in an abandoned building in a ghost town in the northern most region of Greenland is not conducive to frequent viewing!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The problem is that I like to see my photographs! Keeping the photographs chilled in a box in the bottom drawer of a file cabinet in a dark basement at the foot of a stairway in an abandoned building in a ghost town in the northern most region of Greenland is not conducive to frequent viewing!

Steve
    Fuji and Kodak color RC paper is rated for 75 years on display, if color RC will last 75 years how long will B/W last? When I have time I will check Illford and Kodak webb site to see what they have to say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    Fuji and Kodak color RC paper is rated for 75 years on display, if color RC will last 75 years how long will B/W last? When I have time I will check Illford and Kodak webb site to see what they have to say.
    No doubt that Kodak and Fuji claim 75 years on display for their colour RC paper, but I have seen some pretty sick colours on prints that have been on display little more than 10 years. So on display where? Manufacturers claims and reality sometimes differ.

Regards,
    John.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll still stand up for RC paper... partly because I do alt process and my cyanotypes are similar to FB type prints as far as matt finish or whatever finish I have on the type of paper I use.. however, my cyanotypes do not curl like a #$@%!! I think the curly stuff really ruins FB for me besides the additional dev, fix and wash times. I tried it and it wasn't worth the effort (strangely, coating paper for cyanotype is less effort too and I find developing enlarged negatives in total darkness more fun than trying to soak fix out of an FB print).
    I find RC prints quite fine and probably all of the people I know wouldn't know what the heck an FB print was if I gave them one. They recognise RC as being a photograph.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie View Post
    ... After a number of years (15-20?), the plastic coating on the RC paper will fade and yellow and it will not look as good. ...
    After a number of years (15-25) most of my old RC prints still look as good as new. Including one which has been hanging on the wall for 15 years.

But I still prefer FB paper, and graded over VC.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would someone please post a scanned image of an RC print that didn't last 10 years . . . or 20 years. And then explain how it degraded to it's current condition. Cause and effect. Seeing physical results would help me make a judgement.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't have any examples at this time myself, but I've seen prints on RC paper (this was at least as much the fault of sloppy machine processing as it was the paper) that were less than 20 years old, and were showing MASSIVE silvering-out. This was caused by incomplete removal of fixer. Probably more likely to occur with machine processed prints (but that was in part what RC was invented for, to enable rapid machine-processing of b/w images, like could be done with color prints). This may be less of an issue for amateur photographers who are not machine processing, but RC still requires more washing than most people think in order to achieve archival results. I used to have a print that was made on RC paper that showed significant silvering-out within five years of creation. I no longer have this print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    Would someone please post a scanned image of an RC print that didn't last 10 years . . . or 20 years. And then explain how it degraded to it's current condition. Cause and effect. Seeing physical results would help me make a judgement.
    See Ctein's Post Exposure for a section on RC print permanence. After 2 years he found extensive silvering-out (oxidation) and bronzing in both Agfa and Kodak papers when untreated, especially when under acrylic in a frame and on display in normal room light. He found that treatment with Sistan, light selenium toning, or both, improved print life greatly. There's a bit more to it than this brief summary. He describes the changes in RC paper over time, baryta bases, and discusses his ongoing tests with treated prints in different storage conditions, begun in 1995. The book is copyright 2000, so includes more recent materials. In my estimation, it's worth buying for this and many other reasons.

I've had better luck than Ctein with RC prints, but not with all of them, and I'd take his advice on treatment for anything I wanted to live as long as possible.

Lee

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin