Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,631   Online: 681

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two 5x7 RC prints in a trunk that holds odd darkroom stuff and the prints haven't changed a bit in about 30 years, they are Ilford RC prints. I don't use RC paper but they have lasted longer than I imagined.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Come on Bob, now whose OD'ed on the wine. The plastic goes under the emulsion, difficult to develope otherwise
    You are not familiar with the pre-processing step I employ using cling-film and polyurethane varnish...

Oh, all right, I admit it: brain not in gear...

Still, the plastic look is what I meant of course - probably why I like satin: plastic not so obvious. Pity Ilford don't do Warmtone in satin.

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had some RC prints on the wall (not under glass) for about 35 years before I moved recently. They stood up just as well as fiber. Ctein's observations and work that noted bronzing of the older RC prints when displayed under glass were a great service. Fortunately, the cause was discovered, and the problem seems to have been corrected.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Interesting ... the way I understand it, Ilford MGIV FB and RC share the same emulsion (I think the same is true for Agfa MCC and MCP). If the shadow / highlight separation is better for one paper than another, I would have thought it is more to do with the emulsion than the paper. Perhaps this is a wrong assumption!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
    .... FB paper 'feels' quality and, to my mind gives better highlight and shadow separation.....

Rob

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol View Post
    Dave, no heresy
    I like RC because it is convenient and becasue of the pearl or semi-matt finishes
    I read somewhere that longevity is not an issue anymore, it was sometime in the 70s that the base was not properly done... but the learning curve was quick and in the late 80s it was good already.

Agfa MCP was a very interesting paper, nice to work with and in my opinion better than Ilford but always underrated
    I used many boxes of it, and when it dissapearead I was very sad.
    FYI - I bought 100 sheets of MCP from Photoco on Ebay. It arrived in a couple of days, and the box I received (judging by the more modern labels) is newer than the stuff I have (i.e. it should still be good). I haven't used it yet, but I suspect it is OK (I have been quite happy w/ Photoco in the past). There are two boxes left!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use RC for all my prints unless the buyer specifically requests FB or I know that is their preference. All this BS back and forth is such a waste of time. Once you get RC behind glass the "plastic" look disappears in my experience. I've seen FB prints bronze as well. It almost always boils down to sloppy technique with todays papers. Just MHO.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_bw View Post
    Interesting ... the way I understand it, Ilford MGIV FB and RC share the same emulsion (I think the same is true for Agfa MCC and MCP). If the shadow / highlight separation is better for one paper than another, I would have thought it is more to do with the emulsion than the paper. Perhaps this is a wrong assumption!
    If the FB paper base is whiter than RC paper, that might account for the difference.

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK it has (had) to do with the stuff they put in the paper to make it white: for fibre base its baryta (Bariumsulphate (?)), which is an inert compound. For RC paper they use(d) titaniumdioxide, which is a quite reactive compound by it self. Later additional compounds (scavengers) were added to counter the reactivity of TiO2

(correct me if I am wrong ,PE.... )

Best

Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    If the FB paper base is whiter than RC paper, that might account for the difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last box I bought had a picture of 2 guys in black suits and a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by tom_bw View Post
    FYI - I bought 100 sheets of MCP from Photoco on Ebay. It arrived in a couple of days, and the box I received (judging by the more modern labels) is newer than the stuff I have (i.e. it should still be good). I haven't used it yet, but I suspect it is OK (I have been quite happy w/ Photoco in the past). There are two boxes left!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
    ...If I put a picture into a competition or display at my local camera club I usually use RC and no-one there has picked me up on it yet. Perhaps that says more about my local CC than my choice of paper, though!Rob
    If your camera club is anything like the one I attend, your statement comes as no surprise. Works submitted for competition or critique are usually over-enlarged, over-sharpened, and over-saturated color prints originating from a digital camera. Interestingly, these works usually get a lot of attention and are considered by some to be "outstanding". To my eye, almost all of them suffer from either a lack of highlight and/or shadow detail, or from very flat lighting. Meanwhile, the very few of us working with film and in B&W, get little more than a passing glance and are occasionally dismissed as dinosaurs. (Hmmm. I've heard that said about mainframe computers and the people who administer them, but they're still around too.) With an audience like that, would you expect the differences between fiber based and resin coated papers to be noticed? I think not.

But getting back to the original topic, I like and use both resin coated and fiber based papers for my work. More often than not, resin coated papers are my first choice, simply because they are easier to work with and my darkroom time is very limited these days. These papers are also excellent proofing materials. They are less expensive to buy and process, and I can usually tell if an image will benefit by being printed on fiber based paper from the initial work prints made onto resin coated papers. Not many of my images make the cut; and, being the tightwad that I am, I feel better about not having wasted more than necessary. As for longevity, well, the jury is still out on that count. I have some resin coated prints that are more than 20 years old. I have some others that are substantially younger which are suffering badly from silvering out. I'm pretty sure that the bad ones are due more to my negligence than to poor materials.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin