Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,633   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can I wash fibre prints the next day?

Hi all...

Sometimes when I print late at night, I do a first fix and then into a holding tank. I usually give the prints a 5-10 minute wash while shuffling and dumping the water several times and then dry.

My intention is to rewet, second fix, hypoclear and archival wash the next day, however I haven't done this yet and was wondering if this workflow was considered unwise.

If not, how many days can go by before I proceed with part two of the above?

Shooter
    35mm
    You can wash the next day going straight into a wash bath. No need to fix and wet again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The longer you wait the worse the idea, but you can certainly leave your prints in the holding water overnight with no problems. If you leave them wet too long, the emulsion will lift off the paper and turn into a gray sludge coating the inside of your wash tank/tray. BAD idea.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If you leave them wet too long, the emulsion will lift off the paper and turn into a gray sludge coating the inside of your wash tank/tray. BAD idea.
    Ah, you've been there too...

I have the impression (with no evidence) that FB washing becomes more demanding with a long 'hold' period. Maybe Ron could comment?

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you use hardener in your fix for fiber-based prints, the emulsion will hold together longer....however it takes longer to wash. It is still not a good idea to let prints (or film) stay wet any longer than is necessary to achieve archival standards.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've let FB prints sit in water for 3 days with no visible ill effects. Some papers I use lose a bit of white in the highlights and look significantly warmer or creamier than the same paper that has been washed immediately.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For sure you can. I ususally print late and make the first fix , then put my print in a cold water bath. So I can let them sit like this all night long and start the second fix - toning washing sequence after a long night in the water. I have no probelm with all the paper.

best
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by nze View Post
    For sure you can. I ususally print late and make the first fix , then put my print in a cold water bath. So I can let them sit like this all night long and start the second fix - toning washing sequence after a long night in the water. I have no probelm with all the paper.

best
    Dear Christian,

How many decades have you been doing this?

Have you conducted residual hypo/silver/by-product tests?

I'm not saying it won't work. I'm just wondering whether anyone has done any hard testing on this.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just recently read in one of Vestal's books that in a test he did for residual hypo, the cleanest prints were produced from an overnight soak. I am not an expert on this, but I have also read that washing works by diffusion, in other words, it is not the amount of water that flows over the print, but the amount of time the print is in the water. You should do all of the fixing before washing though, otherwise you are just wasting time.

Patrick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    I just recently read in one of Vestal's books that in a test he did for residual hypo, the cleanest prints were produced from an overnight soak. I am not an expert on this, but I have also read that washing works by diffusion, in other words, it is not the amount of water that flows over the print, but the amount of time the print is in the water. You should do all of the fixing before washing though, otherwise you are just wasting time.

Patrick
    Dear Patrick,

Question answered! Thanks.

I believe desorption is also an issue, but I doubt it's relevant here.

Probably a lot depends on the duration of the first pre-soak wash, though.

Cheers,

R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin