Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,313   Online: 899

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I've used Arista Premium Coldtone developer and have had no complaints about it. I've seen it take Agfa Classic and zap it over to a Seagull-like neutral/cool tone. I also remember Henry Gilpin saying a few years ago how pleasantly surprised he was with the results.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another good cooltone developer as an alternative is Ansco 130. It's a mix-yourself developer, but it is pretty easy to work with and lasts forever even at working dilutions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Another good cooltone developer as an alternative is Ansco 130. It's a mix-yourself developer, but it is pretty easy to work with and lasts forever even at working dilutions.
    Ansco 130 however is a warmtone rather than cooltone developer.

Bruce Barlow had done some fairy extensive paper and developer testing. It was originally published in View Camera magazine but you can now download the articles directly from his website:

http://www.circleofthesunproductions...PartII_000.pdf

http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com/

I can personally recommend the Sprint Quicksilver developer, it is meant as a neutral tone but does in fact produce fairly cool prints.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Tetenal Dokumol for cool tones. The strength of the effect varies with paper though - it's good with bromide papers.

Pete H

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Dear SImon, there is no hope with this developer? It is very wonderful!!! It's a pity to see it disappear!!!
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I've been using Ilford Cooltone and love it and was distraught when I heard that it was being discontinued so soon. I've just developed my first prints in Tetental Eukobrom to see if it's an alternitive. The mid-tones are nice but the blacks don't go as deep and don't seem to strengthen as well in selenium. Looks like I'll have to keep looking. May try some Dokumol as suggested and see if that's any better.

The sad thing is that despite trying to support Ilford I seem to have ended up with a complete set of Tetenal chemicals - developer, stop and odourless fix (which I find nicer to use than the Ilford Rapid Fixer). And I'm using Neofin Blue for slower films so that just leaves DDX for certain films and, fortunately, the Ilford film itself. Given that I generally print on Foma paper, I'm not helping them much!

Barry
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why are you all saying that "Ilford" discontinued CT developer??

According to the Harman / Ilford website (who took over or continued Ilford's BW paper / chemical section), they *ARE* still producing both CT and WT developer:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...per+Developers

I have just the other day bought a bottle of the new Harman / Ilford WT developer, and in the same rack of the shop here in the Netherlands where I bought it, there were at least a dozen bottles of the Harman / Ilford CT developer!

Cheers,

Marco

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I’m puzzled too as I couldn’t get any noticeable colour shift with the Ilford Warm Tone developer, but could obtain a marked change with the Cool Tone; that with Ilford MG warm and standard papers and Kentmere VC. I guess cool is uncool at the moment.

As Marco states, these products are on the shelves, so stock up before they disappear.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love this stuff too, and have about 1/2 of a bottle left. I'm planning to buy some Benzatriazole from the Formulary and spike PQ, my regular developer, with it. If it gives the same nice cool tones, I guess the silver (or perhaps blue) lining is one less chemical to keep.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Iím puzzled too as I couldnít get any noticeable colour shift with the Ilford Warm Tone developer, but could obtain a marked change with the Cool Tone; that with Ilford MG warm and standard papers and Kentmere VC. I guess cool is uncool at the moment.

As Marco states, these products are on the shelves, so stock up before they disappear.
    Where can I still buy some in the UK?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin