Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,239   Online: 894

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Bond found that development changes (reduction in time) were not really necessary with the films he tried, as contrast didn't build in the way it did with older emulsions. BTW, this was in the July/Aug 2003 Photo Techniques.

Bracketing with really long exposures can become tedious and time consuming. Apart from that, I'd suggest that you just try moderate bracketing and see if there's any pay off for your specific conditions.

The only long exposures I've bracketed consistently are astrophotography shots using regular camera prime lenses, and I do that mainly to get maximum exposure time before light pollution overcomes the background skies. I do that by adjusting times using Fibonacci series numbers for the minutes, which works out to a factor of 1.62 between steps. I've also done the same using seconds for terrestrial night scenes where the dynamic range is great and I want to get variations from which to choose. It also helps me remember my exposure times (especially when I'm back out shooting under similar conditions), and is a reasonable adjustment for getting a significant difference without going too far.

Lee
    And my article analyzing his results was in the following issue.

You could move to my part of West Virginia to avoid light pollution.

Bracketting f-stops is OK when you are not concerned about depth of field. Bracketting time is hard to predict and sometimes hard to tolerate.

I knew there was something magic about 1.62 besides its geometric perfection.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    And my article analyzing his results was in the following issue.

You could move to my part of West Virginia to avoid light pollution.

Bracketting f-stops is OK when you are not concerned about depth of field. Bracketting time is hard to predict and sometimes hard to tolerate.

I knew there was something magic about 1.62 besides its geometric perfection.
    Patrick,

I haven't ordered the back issue with your reciprocity article yet, although I did fill in around my lapsed subscription with most of your developer articles. And you've described your method well here on APUG and Unblinkingeye. I did happen to stumble across Bond's article when it was on the magazine website briefly as a publicly available .pdf, so I snagged it. For those looking for your follow on article, it's titled "Reciprocal Trade Agreement". They appear to have taken down all the sample articles they used to have on the Photo Techniques web site, and I don't feel free to distribute the .pdf of the Bond article due to copyright.

As you know, 1.618... is the Fibonacci ratio, the golden mean ratio known as phi after the sculptor Phidias, etc... lots of good natural resonance right around that spot. I used Fibonacci numbered seconds to hand print B&W in a lab, about 2000 prints a month with 2 D5's and a roller transport, judging exposure by eye. People were surprized when they asked for repeat prints and got essentially identical reprints, but I knew it was always at 3, 5, 8, or 13 seconds, and that spacing works great for meaningful but not drastic changes in density. You can also make a test strip at that spacing by just moving a card as you count seconds, and letting the exposures stack up, like f-stop printing at just over 1/2 stop intervals.

I used to live south of you near the Jefferson National Forest and the Blue Ridge Parkway, where I first started shooting night skies under good conditions, but a job change forced a move. I do visit the "wild and wonderful" when I get the chance.

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin