Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,991   Online: 796

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Clayton Extend with APHS for enlarged negs

Hello
    Has anyone tried Clayton Extend Plus to process APHS for making enlarged negs? Although it's mentioned in past threads as a good choice for lith film, there's very little info on more specific details (actually I can't find anything).
    I've been using HC-110 diluted 1:14 (from stock) and have been getting fairly decent results but the mid-tones can be a bit flat. So I thought I'd give Clayton a shot, as it's supposed to be good for increased definition in the mid-tones with a hight contrast film like APHS.
    I'm figuring that if I'm using HC-110 at twice the 'normal' dilution of 1:7, then I should dilute CEP at roughly the same? For film, the suggested dilution is 1:15.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks
    david

Shooter
    35mm
    Please contact me for information about CLAYTON EXTEND plus DEVELOPER.
    askus@claytonchem.com
    310 538-9530x 134

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    A much simpler approach is to use D-23 with a water bath. Some workers even dilute the D-23 1:1 and use a water bath.

2 minutes in developer - 1 minute water bath and repeat until desired highlight density is reached. A little practice in recognizing when the highlights are appropriate is needed.

I use LC-1 often. Look for this on the Unblinking Eye site.
    Jim Galli alters Rodinal and gets beautiful results. His information is in another thread.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    thanks Jim for the info. I did purchase some Clayton Extend, so I'll continue to run some tests with that first.
    I should clarify that I'm making my enlarged negatives directly from positive originals (ie Scala).
    I have tried LC-1 and I can see how it would be great for inter-positives, however, I couldn't get nearly enough dmax out of it for my uses.
    I am curious about D-23. Can you clarify if it would be used for some reasons as LC-1 (extremely low contrast inter-positives)?
    As far as the Extend Plus goes, I'm finding that a dilution between 1:15 and 1:20 will probably work. It also needs some good agitation, as compared to using the HC-110 (which is consistent but really really minimal).
    cheers
    david

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin