Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,748   Online: 898

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Foma papers in MACO LP

Hi all, maybe someone will be interested, just for information. I made three lith prints in MACO LP of the same 35mm negative (Kodak Tri-X) on three Foma papers. From left to right - Fomabrom (Fixed grade - normal), Fomatone MG classics, Foma Variant III. I like the result with Variant paper, the special violet hue is interesting. I don't like this paper for classical BW printing too much, but liths well. Dilution was 1+1+18.

I obtained on Variant some uneven development, mid part was complete black, overdeveloped, still don't know why.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lith papers comparison.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That Fomabrom doesn't look like it lithed; reminds me of attemps to lith Oriental VC, the newer stuff. Thanks for the tip on the Variant. The MG Classic liths so well that I never thought to try any of their other papers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I forgot to mention, it is cropped enlargement (1/4 approx) of print. I posted whole Fomatone print in gallery.
    I think fomabrom liths, there is infectious development, but there is not any change in color, the print is just very gritty.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dida, try this: place one drop of Maco solution B on a little strip of Fomabrom. With the lights on. See if there is a color change within the minute. Color change indicates there are developers incorporated, and the paper won't lith. Try it on a little swatch of the other two papers to compare. I pick up a lot of old papers from here and there, and it's a quick test to see what has potential and what doesn't.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Rich, I will try and let you know.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've lithed Fomabrom in Maco LP at a 1:19 dilution and I got some very rich reddish browns, nothing like what your Fomabrom lith shows.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much developer did you mix up?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    I've lithed Fomabrom in Maco LP at a 1:19 dilution and I got some very rich reddish browns, nothing like what your Fomabrom lith shows.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much developer did you mix up?

About 1litre.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From my personal experience, I've found that mixing that little amount of lith developer gives me very gritty prints and the developer gets depleted fairly quickly.

I generally mix approximately 4.5 liters of developer which includes 25% Old Brown (so about 120 ounces of fresh developer and 30 ounces of Old Brown). Seems to work for me. Try mixing a greater volume to see if that helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    From my personal experience, I've found that mixing that little amount of lith developer gives me very gritty prints and the developer gets depleted fairly quickly.

I generally mix approximately 4.5 liters of developer which includes 25% Old Brown (so about 120 ounces of fresh developer and 30 ounces of Old Brown). Seems to work for me. Try mixing a greater volume to see if that helps.
    It make sense. I mixed two times only 1 liter and the window for lith is short. Howerver its influence on grain and color I will test. I also added old brown, but only small amount, 50ml per 1000ml of mixed new. I am just starting, so I am learning. Thanks for advice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I tried as you suggested, small drop of part B on light. It is late evening, so it is tungsten light. I made digital photo of result after approx. 5 minutes. There was no more change in color, only in smell around :-). So fomabrom doesn't interact .... I don't understand yet what is principle, but I can see results.
    All papers FB: foma, foma, foma, ilford.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lith test 17-11-07.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin