Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,243   Online: 818

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you dpurdy. There I woulda been with nowhere to hang the film. Pretty much was planning on everything else. Thanks for the list folks.

Chris
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    glad to have thought of something so obvious. Probably a lot of film gets hung on shower curtain rods. Good thing about the bathroom is you can fill it with steam and take the dust out of the air that way before you put your sticky film in there.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    A large kitty litter tray with an unbreakable aquarium thermometer, and a small powerhead to keep the water circulating, is a great way to have a tempered water bath for your chems, so you can keep the sink to work over, pouring chems, etc. Make sure to drip loop the cords.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    there is a very good instruction on ilford website. That was the one I used when I first started. Check it out.
    I too can strongly recommend the Ilford PDF.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629163442455.pdf

It is well written and explains the process well. It is written for 35 mm but should be very easy to adapt to 120 MF film. The reel is the same if you are going to use plastic, you just have to "expand" it, or you will need separate 120 and 35 mm reels if going with stainless steel. I personally prefer stainless steel and would also strongly second the recommendation for Hewes reels in both 120 and 35 mm sizes. Expensive but definitely worth it. Be careful not to drop it (or if buying used) since they can be difficult to load if warped. Practice loading with an expired roll (or sacrifice a roll) first in light then with your eyes closed to get the feel for it. It is very easy.

Ilford's PDF discusses some of their films and chemicals initially but it is also transferable to whichever chemistry you use. Ilford and Kodak are obviously excellent, I can also highly recommend Sprint Systems. Their chemistry is easily available at least on the US east coast and is popular in many colleges.

http://sprintsystems.com/

Sincerely,

Hany.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bookwise, The Darkroom Handbook by Michael Langford is an excellent nuts and bolts guide. Our very own Roger Hicks also wrote a good one [title escapes me at the mo].
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Hewes are indeed the best; in my opinion,
    Kinderman comes in a close second. Konical
    I've a Kindermann with a center lift grip which I've
    taken a liking to and one other with another center
    grip arrangement. At least one other Kindermann has
    yet another grip. Kindermanns have the heaviest of
    steel in their reels. I do have a Hewes and second
    it's also first rate quality.

I do as many others fear to do, I squeegee my film
    using an eight blade film squeegee. Kept just for the
    purpose it sees a rinse in the Phot-Flo solution right
    after the film is removed. With the film hung by an
    upper clamp it is drawn slowly downward. Jobo is
    my brand but the same squeegee is marketed
    under other brand names. Films dry fast. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    just because I'm curious. Are the steel reels, realy that much better?
    The effect of holding temperature more constantly, makes this interesting. Is it worth to buy new reels?
    Since I'm using the Jobo tanks, would any stainless steel reel fit into it?

I feel the jobo reels are soaking in the chemistry. (The color changes over time...) Would this problem be erased?
    (any short tip on how to clean them?)

Any idea where to get them? I've never seen steel reels in a shop in austria.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    The effect of holding temperature more constantly, makes this interesting. Is it worth to buy new reels?

I feel the jobo reels are soaking in the chemistry. (The color changes over time...) Would this problem be erased?

Any idea where to get them? I've never seen steel reels in a shop in austria.
    I like the steel reels because they are easier for me to load. The temperature properties are a minor issue, once you have your developing times established, they will be factored in.

Some persons have no trouble with plastic. I think they are a PIA. I gave my last ones away.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    That's a matter of personal preference. My own personal preference is for Hewes SS reels; I just find them easier to load than plastic reels. Others have other opinions. The only way to know for sure is to try both -- but be sure to try good reels, not junk ones. I've got a couple of used generic SS reels that are harder to load than the plastic ones I've got!

I'm not positive, but I expect the temperature effects have more to do with the tank than the reels. Usually SS reels are used with SS tanks and plastic reels are used with plastic tanks. There are exceptions, though; see below....

The US NYC and mail-order retailer B&H has a page with Hewes SS reels made specifically for Jobo tanks. Presumably they're available from other sources, too, but I have no other references. I believe B&H ships internationally, so if you were desperate you could mail-order from them; or if you know somebody who'll be visiting New York, you could ask them to pick you up a reel or two. I doubt if there'd be any problem carrying film reels back in checked or carry-on baggage.

SS reels certainly won't discolor over time the way plastic does. They have their own care issues, though. The one that gets the most mention is handling care -- if you drop a SS reel, it can get bent out of shape, making it difficult to load. Hewes reels are made out of thicker metal than generic SS reels, so this is less of an issue with them, but it could still happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin