Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,778   Online: 894

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks mabman, Your post is much better than the goolgle translation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak is bringing back the manufacture of film to the US, England and France as the market shrinks. At one time it was expected that there would be a growing market in SEA and SA, but that failed to develop so why have a huge investment there.

Kodak had a large investment in China under the direction of Carl Kohrt until he retired, and then Jack Chang until he retired. There was a great deal of activity in Kodak digital print kiosks which are dotted all over China.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think this is a good move for Kodak. The exchange rate with China has been held at a fixed ratio so that Chinese products will be artificially cheap in the US and US products artificially expensive in China. Kodak must realize that the economic chickens will come home to roost sooner or later and they will be in a much better position to compete by making their products in the USA when the exchange rate is either allowed to float or when China adjusts the fixed rate.

Here is the share price of Lucky:
    http://www.alacrastore.com/company-s...Co_Ltd-2509014

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another link to that story:

http://tinyurl.com/ytl5je

Bloomberg UK.
    testing...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have not found the "lucky" product to be anywhere near expected Kodak quality
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak is bringing back the manufacture of film to the US, England and France as the market shrinks. At one time it was expected that there would be a growing market in SEA and SA, but that failed to develop so why have a huge investment there.

Kodak had a large investment in China under the direction of Carl Kohrt until he retired, and then Jack Chang until he retired. There was a great deal of activity in Kodak digital print kiosks which are dotted all over China.

PE
    I wonder if Lucky has any future at all. At one time, I think you had mentioned that Osmium, Iridium, and Rhodium were used to enhance the spectral sensitivity of film emulsions to give them sensitivity across the entire spectrum of visible light.

Well, as of sometime next year (I forget the precise date) all industrial purchase of those three elements in the PRC is going t have to be done through a government clearing house. I guess the rationale behind that is that China wants to be certain that its developing aerospace industry isn't going to face availability issues for these three elements which are using in superalloy heat-treating processes.

Aerospace is a growth industry, analog photo materials really isn't, so it isn't hard to guess which will be shown preferential treatment in a command economy.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I wonder if Lucky has any future at all. At one time, I think you had mentioned that Osmium, Iridium, and Rhodium were used to enhance the spectral sensitivity of film emulsions to give them sensitivity across the entire spectrum of visible light.

Well, as of sometime next year (I forget the precise date) all industrial purchase of those three elements in the PRC is going t have to be done through a government clearing house. I guess the rationale behind that is that China wants to be certain that its developing aerospace industry isn't going to face availability issues for these three elements which are using in superalloy heat-treating processes.

Aerospace is a growth industry, analog photo materials really isn't, so it isn't hard to guess which will be shown preferential treatment in a command economy.
    These chemicals are not used to enhance spectral sensitivity. They are used for contrast control, latent image keeping and reciprocity among other things. Osmium is used in the new 2 electron sensitivity which impinges on spectral sensitization peripherally in that it interacts with the spectral sensitizing dye.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie View Post
    I would guess that Kodak felt the same way. IDK, but that may be one reason for the pullback.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie View Post
    Are you referring to color film made in China and branded Kodak? Or..are you referring to film marketed under the "Lucky" name. I have used some of the Lucky b/w film and it has a unique look to it, as it does not have an anti-haliation backing, giving it a glow. However I have found that the quality and consistency between rolls is just fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin