Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,125   Online: 971

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Tim Rudman on Pyro:

The lowest known lethal dose of pyro was 28 mg/kg (Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances, 1985 - 86) on page 69 of his book "The Book of Pyro and the PMK Formula". Also, quoted in Anchell and Troop as the most dangerous chemical in the darkroom today.

PE
    Sorry, Argument from authority, argumentum ad verecundiam is a logical fallacy, because the validity of a claim does not necessarily follow from the credibility of the source.

Also, If one wants to avoid contact with hydroxybenzenes (like hydroquinone, catechcol and pyrogallol) avoid barbeque's, smoke from wood fires and especially avoid tobacco smoke. Also, avoid Coffee. Include Dektol and any other developers that contain hydroquinone in your avoidance list.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That really is quite bad - I always use nitrile gloves and am careful about dust - haven't had any problems being careful. PC-TEA and XTOL are mostly vitamin C - I guess the phenidone is a bit toxic - maybe less than metol though. Of course when compared with other household chemicals; ant spray, oven cleaner, paint stripper, certain cleaners and pharmaceutical items, pretty ordinary danger levels - after all, I do pump my own gas with MBTE in it. Now if we compared that with the chemicals in our food, dark room photography is probably safer than many of the things we do without much thought - like soda pop and manufactured foods - fast food and junk food - processed meat and cheese products. Really scary stuff. I do think it is a good idea to keep the paws out of the soup and don't breath chemical dust.

Tim Rudman on Pyro:

The lowest known lethal dose of pyro was 28 mg/kg (Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances, 1985 - 86) on page 69 of his book "The Book of Pyro and the PMK Formula". Also, quoted in Anchell and Troop as the most dangerous chemical in the darkroom today.

PE
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Sorry, Argument from authority, argumentum ad verecundiam is a logical fallacy, because the validity of a claim does not necessarily follow from the credibility of the source.
    Yes. Thomas Aquinas and I suppose Aristotle as well consudered the argumant from authority to be the weakest.

I worked on a labor crew at an oil well equipment manyfacturer's factory one summer. I heard an argument between two of my compatriots that ended thusly: "If you don't believe me just ask Joe" said one. "Why should I ask him? He'll just say the same thing you're asayin, and I know you're alyin'" said the other. I'm sure neither was a Thomistic scholar, but at least one had the right idea.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Ouch. To be honest - ignorant how I am - I already used a small amount of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner in the kitchen sink and without gloves (about 200 ml) yesterday. Allthough I was extremely carefull that nothing gets on my hands and nothing gets anywhere else but in the film tank and the beaker I am still a little bit worried now. I spilled the used dillution into the kitchen sink.

After reading all this I already cleaned the whole kitchen twice (using plain water with dish liquid). Is this enough or should I do something else? How likely is it that I harmed myself. Are there any symptoms to watch out for now? I read a garlic taste in the mouth would such a symptome?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    Ouch. To be honest - ignorant how I am - I already used a small amount of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner in the kitchen sink and without gloves (about 200 ml) yesterday. Although I was extremely careful that nothing gets on my hands and nothing gets anywhere else but in the film tank and the beaker I am still a little bit worried now. I spilled the used dilution into the kitchen sink.

After reading all this I already cleaned the whole kitchen twice (using plain water with dish liquid). Is this enough or should I do something else? How likely is it that I harmed myself. Are there any symptoms to watch out for now? I read a garlic taste in the mouth would (be?) such a symptom?
    Are you wearing Nitrile Gloves when you work with photo chemistry?

Here is a URL for a Photo Net selenium spill cleanup post: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007Yfk
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    .................... I am still a little bit worried now. I spilled the used dillution into the kitchen sink.

After reading all this I already cleaned the whole kitchen twice (using plain water with dish liquid). Is this enough or should I do something else? How likely is it that I harmed myself. Are there any symptoms to watch out for now? I read a garlic taste in the mouth would such a symptome?
    If you've done a good rinse down I doubt that you're in the slightest danger. Many people take a selenium supplement for health reasons and you might have just got a one or two day dose of selenium. The significant danger lies in frequent, regular exposure to something. That includes the foods that are well known to be not healthy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Overexposure - Health Hazards in Photography" Susan D Shaw & Monona Rossol Allworth Press New York ISBN 0-9607118-6-4

They don't cover back pains from hulking heavy cameras about, but for all chemistry issues they are thorough.

Possibly one of the most important photography books I've bought -- after sticking my bare paws into hydroquinone based developers long enough to gain a temporary rash. I never contemplated putting selenium in the kitchen sink, however!

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    "Overexposure - Health Hazards in Photography" Susan D Shaw & Monona Rossol Allworth Press New York ISBN 0-9607118-6-4

They don't cover back pains from hulking heavy cameras about, but for all chemistry issues they are thorough.
    You can't trust this source either. The edition I looked in was way off on the properties and therefore the hazards of ferricyanide - it had way over stated the hazard.

By the way, do you all know that sodium is considered a heavy metal? And oral exposure of too much sodium will kill you too.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Point of trivia - I think the isolated Selenium is not literally a heavy metal but I understand the association with the toxicity and endurance attributed to heavy metals. I call Selenium a semiconductor - I can't remember what that group is called in the Periodic Table..Transitional?

So, what happens to photos that one tones with selenium toner? Are they then bad news to have around? I haven't heard that yet.

How long does Kodak selenium toner keep in a half-full plastic bottle? I was given some and figured using it was better than trying to dispose of it all at once.
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tim Rudman on Pyro:

PE
    I didn't write this book PE. Did you mean Gordon Hutchings?
    Tim

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin