Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,881   Online: 978

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I get my nitrile gloves at a home medical supply. They are quite used to photographers, mechanics, hobbyists ,and other non medical persons coming in to purchase the gloves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, during a workup I had an accidental spill of selenium oxide in dimethyl sulfoxide. Jordan will recognize the danger of that combination.

It did penetrate the skin and I could taste garlic and oysters for a day.

But, I still have my hair and the only time I taste garlic is when I eat it. Any hair loss is due to old age, as is irritability which comes with old age I guess. I am tired due to old age, but was noted for being a very energetic person all of my life. So there! Even a somewhat radical exposure to selenium can (note that can) be survivable. I have problems with health just as the older of us do, but nothing can be traced to photography.

My problems stem mainly from the stress of working for 32 years at EK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Indeed. If you eat enough fresh green spinach, it will kill you.

FWIW- I always wear nitrile gloves in the darkroom, have good ventilation, and wear a mask - - -
    So, do wearing nitrile gloves, having good ventilation, and wearing a mask protect you when you eat spinach?

Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    So, do wearing nitrile gloves, having good ventilation, and wearing a mask protect you when you eat spinach?

I usually don't eat my darkroom supplies (well there was the "incident") , but I do like spinach, and how in the world could I shovel spinach down my pie hole with a mask on?!!
    Last edited by JBrunner; 11-18-2007 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a new world. Back when I first did darkroom work, some three decades ago, I thought that folks using tongs were being way too careful and I didn't put it that politely.

I'm going to build a new darkroom to get back into darkroom work, and I'll be wearing gloves for the scary stuff - and using tongs for a lot of the work with paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Originally Posted by tim rudman
    I didn't write this book PE. Did you mean Gordon Hutchings?
    Tim

Apologies to Tim, yes it was Gordon Hutchings. And IDK how I did that as his (Gordon's) book and A&T were sitting side by side next to me as I wrote that!
    So sorry for the error.
    PE
    No problem PE. Stuff happens :-)
    Incidentally, although that accreditation which incorrect, I did in fact write up a section on selenium and toxicity in The Toning Book.
    I quite agree with you, and with Martin Reed's post (it would have been Guy's Hospital Martin), - there is no risk in practice, given the basic information, simple precautions and a dose of common sense. I don't understand the paranoia that some centres seem to have about selenium. I have encountered some photo centres that don't allow it in the building, which IMHO is silly.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    For each of the mentioned chemicals Is it ok to
    1. work without gloves
    2. inhale their perspirations (work without mask)
    3. spill the used chemicals into the toilet
    4. spill the used chemicals into the kitchen sink
    5. generally use them in a kitchen (no matter how careful I am, I am sure some drops of the chemicals end up at places where food or dishes will be later, especially near the sink)
    Don't forget that toning does not require the darkness of a, well, darkroom - you can just as well go outside to do the toning work.

As for flushing used chemicals (photo or general household) down the drain or toilet: Where I live (Denmark), that is an absolute no-no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie View Post
    Nitrile gloves - ebay? I think that is where I bought my last 3 boxes. They should be as easy to get as anything else on the the internet. They are not reusable.
    I've seen reusable nitrile gloves sold for general household cleaning. In this form, they're similar to the latex or rubber gloves that are found near many kitchen sinks. They're thicker than the disposable variety, and for this reason they diminish the tactile senses more and so might not be as well-liked for many purposes as the thinner disposable variety.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blue nitrile gloves are available at my local (not very good) supermarket, so I would think that they would be easily available.

Gim

I use green, powder free, "Ansell Touch N Tuff" disposable Nitrile gloves from W W Grainger. I get a fairly close fit glove and can shuffel 8 sheet films in a tray with no problem. $12-13 bucks for a box of 100.
    www.ansell.com
    Jim

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin