Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,932   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak TMAX100 VS Ilford DELTA100

I need to copy my color slides to B&W film only once!
    No time to experiment with too many possibilities.
    I want the sharpest, finest grain, with faithful tonal range repro. I'll be copying 6x7 cm to 4x5 sheet film in my enlarger, and printing up to 20x24 inches.
    Kodak or Ilford, which one?
    Thanks,
    DT

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    TMX is more neutral in this regard, so that's what I'd use for this purpose.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would be amazed if you could tell the difference
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any reason why you're doing the internegative by projection rather than contact? I'm just curious, because I have some 35mm slides I plan to convert the same way, and TMX was my target as well.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Any reason why you're doing the internegative by projection rather than contact? I'm just curious, because I have some 35mm slides I plan to convert the same way, and TMX was my target as well.
    Well I suppose I could just lay the 6x7 slide onto the 4x5 film in total darkness, and cut it out later. But I think I'll have more control with enlarging and have a bigger neg to play with later. Make sense?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think it's good to dupe on a larger format.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The film for choice here would have been ektapan in the old days but tmax should work fine. I prefer doing contact internegs to eliminate the possibility of losing sharpness when making enlarged I-negs. By doing them by contact emulsion to emulsion you'll get the sharpest interneg possible, however it's harder to see dust when doing them by contact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By doing them by contact emulsion to emulsion you'll get the sharpest interneg possible, however it's harder to see dust when doing them by contact.
    Wouldn`t that make the image laterally reversed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm slides with a slide copier?
    I would prefer Fuji Acros for that

Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol View Post
    35mm slides with a slide copier?
    I would prefer Fuji Acros for that
    No, I was actually going to try with my Leitz ELDIA. It's made for doing B&W slides on blue-sensitive or ortho film (works pretty well, BTW, I have some pretty nice slides from my usual negs), but with a bit of patience and some ingenuity, I thought I could devise a manner to use it with a pan film like TMX.
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 11-20-2007 at 10:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin