Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,685   Online: 956

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Harman Cooltone Developer : A Reply

Dear All,

I have obviously been checking the APUG website regarding this product.
    I have also received some pm's regarding this product.

Firstly, the product will not be manufactured again due to insufficient sales, but significant stock does remain in the supply chain and to those who use and like the product I hope you are able to purchase some stock.

I would like to assure Apug members that sales levels of our HARMAN Warmtone Chemistry are viable on-going and sales of our recently introduced Selenium toner have exceeded our expectations.

We are very sad that we did not achieve a viable level of sales and that the Cooltone product has had to be withdrawn, we are obviously aware that therefore we have upset customers who have chosen HARMAN Cooltone Developer as their paper developer of choice, to those customers we offer our sincere apologies.

I can share with you that today the Board of HARMAN technology Limited discussed the possibility of putting the formulation of this product into the public domain. I have to tell you that whilst they agreed this would be the best solution ( for our customers ) they were unable to do this as one of the chemicals used in the manufacture is a proprietry chemical manufactured by HARMAN technology Limited and is therefore confidential. Once again our sincere apologies.

Simon.

ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sorry to see it go, but thank you for your open reply.

Regards,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information, Simon. It's noteworthy, especially in light of the ongoing thread about Kodak and it's discontinued products, that Ilford demonstrates the courage to come here and offer a straightforward statement that includes reasons, and regrets. Were Kodak so disposed to do likewise , I suspect regard for that company would be much more positive.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your open reply Simon. Indeed like others here I too am very sorry to see it go (down to my last 2 litres).

However being the old cynic that I am. Was the product withdrawn because it was actually making a loss or was the profit margin not to the companies expectation. Only I note Tetenel still offer both of their cold tone developers, Eukobrom and Dokumol, so I assume there's a healthy market for cold tone developer?

Regards,
    Trevor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it had made a profit, any profit it would have been kept

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Clayton Ultra Coldtone Print Developer.

Clayton Ultra Coldtone Print Developer should make an ideal substitute for the Ilford Cooltone product. It is a pity that this developer is not available in the UK.
    I am hoping that Silverprint and/or Retrophotographic would consider stocking the Clayton products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    If it had made a profit, any profit it would have been kept

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    I understand with what you say -- if it isn't profitable discontinue it, that's the businessman's way.

But we who are in it for the art cannot live that way. We will find a way to produce the tones in our prints we require. The lack of HARMAN technology's Cooltone developer is only an inconvenience, not a disaster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Were Kodak so disposed to do likewise , I suspect regard for that company would be much more positive.
    Then let's also make sure Fuji does the same, shall we, before we continue to single out Kodak? Again.

Anyone see the Fuji rep here yet? Maybe Fuji can tell us why they were so quick to leave the specialty film markets years before digital while Kodak stayed on. For what what little thanks, it appears.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why does this have to go on and on and on and on and on?

This is an Ilford announcement, for crying out loud. What's Kodak and Fuji have to do with anything?

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Then let's also make sure Fuji does the same, shall we, before we continue to single out Kodak? Again.

Anyone see the Fuji rep here yet? Maybe Fuji can tell us why they were so quick to leave the specialty film markets years before digital while Kodak stayed on. For what what little thanks, it appears.

Regards, Art.
    Good point about the Fuji rep. As someone relatively new to the film market so with little knowledge of past history but a desire to be informed, what were the speciality film markets that Fuji left but Kodak continued with?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin