Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,186   Online: 652

Shooter
    Medium Format

hp5 & rodinal question

so i have this first test roll of hp 5 that i want to soup in rodinal. i've seen lots of examples of this combo and most of the time it's too grainy for my tastes but i do like the tones. however, i did see somewhere a great example where the grain wasn't bad at all but of course i can't remember or find that example right now.

so my question is: is there a preferred dilution and/or time temp that will lessen the grain or is that just the nature of the beast?

BTW film was exposed @ 200-250 EI and i tend to like rodinal with slower films at 1:100 but haven't tried it on a fast film yet. would 1:200 be better for hp5? is semi stand or stand any good with higher speed films or is that best for low speed film?

Images
    The maximum contrast index you can get with HP5+ in Rodinal 1+50 is about 0.6, and that's after about 16 minutes with agitation. I never tried 1+100 and never expect to unless for stand development. If you don't like the grain of Rodinal-HP5+, be sure you don't overexpose.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use sodium sulfite with Rodinal. Others prefer sodium ascorbate (I think). Sodium sulfite tends to reduce the grain and speed up the development process a bit. With HP5+, I use 2/3 tablespoon of sodium sulfite per 8 ounces of solution, use this to dilute Rodinal 1:75 and process for 11.5 minutes at 68 degrees. I like thinner negatives so adjust the times according to taste. This works well for me with HP5+, Tri-X, FP-4+, Plus-X and Pan-F+.

Again, this is my personal preference in using Rodinal--it may not be for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by superloaf View Post
    so my question is: is there a preferred dilution and/or time temp that will lessen the grain or is that just the nature of the beast?
    Try to develope between 16°C and 18°C. Lately I got the hint to extend the developing time by the factor of 1.3 for every one degree Celsius decrease in temperature.
    You may have a look at this one:

(Sorry I don't know how to insert an image, I alway just get a link inserted)

The picture is taken on 35mm HP5+ at EI 800, developed in Rodinal 1+50 at 18°C.

Ulrich
    Last edited by Ulrich Drolshagen; 11-22-2007 at 10:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is an article here http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Rodinal/rodinal.html to which Gainer contributed his tests using sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) with Rodinal to reduce grain. I've tried it with HP5+, and liked it. I used to use sodium sulfite with slower films, but prefer the sodium ascorbate.

The sodium ascorbate increases the rate of development as well as reducing grain, so you should reduce development time, using something close to the 1:25 times for a 1:50 dilution with Vit C added.

Gainer had an article in Photo Techniques about adding several salts to Rodinal in an effort to reduce grain.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For HP5+ I use rodinal 1:100 for 1 hour 15minutes stand developing
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have an HP5 in Rodinal example . Typically, I develop in Rodinal 1:25 for 7' (20 degrees). I find it very nice when there is some texture - for example, stones or wood. The grain seems to accentuate the texture. On 'smooth' greys, the grain can get to be somewhat course past 5-6 times enlargement.

My 2 cents worth: For 35mm, it is generally fine for 5X7 enlargements, though it can also be nice with stone / wood textures at 8X10.

Quote Originally Posted by superloaf View Post
    so i have this first test roll of hp 5 that i want to soup in rodinal. i've seen lots of examples of this combo and most of the time it's too grainy for my tastes but i do like the tones. however, i did see somewhere a great example where the grain wasn't bad at all but of course i can't remember or find that example right now.

BTW film was exposed @ 200-250 EI and i tend to like rodinal with slower films at 1:100 but haven't tried it on a fast film yet. would 1:200 be better for hp5? is semi stand or stand any good with higher speed films or is that best for low speed film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if you shoot 35mm or medium format, but here is a link shot on medium format:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...0&ppuser=11665

I used the aph09 rodinal (which gives slightly more grainy results than modern rodinal) diluted 1+40 for 14 minutes, and exposed at ei 320 (the light is bounced flash from the cealing).
    Mind you the print looks much nicer than the crappy scan, and grain is completely invisible enlarged to 8x8.
    Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For finer grain I switch to Rodinal Special, I think it might be called Agfa Studional in the US. It's a fast developer used at 1+15 dilution, it takes 4 minutes @ 20°C to develop HP5+.

Here is a recent example of HP5+ developed in Rodinal Special.
    Last edited by Andy K; 11-22-2007 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin