Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,083   Online: 1233

Shooter
    Medium Format

VERY! Old Chems still usable?

While rummaging through "the dungeon," I've found some very old developers. Does anyone know if I can get descent results from them?
    Here they are:
    Kodak Microdol-X powder in the can - 1976
    GAF Vividol powder in the can - 1976
    Kodak Dektol and Selectol powder in the bags - 1992
    Kodak Tmax Dev liquid in the unopened bottle - 1995
    And Kodak rapid fix in the bottle - 1995
    Trash them?
    DT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave;

If the developers mix up to the color of straw or weak tea, then they are ok, but if they mix up to darker colors then they are NG. If the fixer is cloudy or has an off white coating on the bottle, then it is NG.

Worst case, try it and see. If it develops or fixes it is OK, as long as you filter out any residue. And, test first for the capacity. For example, the developers and fixers may react more slowly.

The bottom line is that it varies.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks PE!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Dave,

I have successfully used many kodak developers in the can that date from the 50's-70's.
    Mostly dektol, microdol and d-76. As long as the can is still sealed and not rusted you should be fine.
    The old kodak paper bags do let in moisture. IMHO its a hit or miss. I have some form the 80's that are fine.
    Some i bought a couple of years ago went bad.

Good luck!

-ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    On a similar note I have a 5L jug of Ilford Rapid Fix that's been sitting around partially used for 4-6 months or so, maybe more. It seems to still be clear, or a very faint yellow. Think it's still good? Most of the fixer testers seem to test for dissolved silver, is there any way to test if unused fixer is still good?

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    On a similar note I have a 5L jug of Ilford Rapid Fix that's been sitting around partially used for 4-6 months or so, maybe more. It seems to still be clear, or a very faint yellow. Think it's still good? Most of the fixer testers seem to test for dissolved silver, is there any way to test if unused fixer is still good?

- Justin
    Justin:

Check first that it hasn't started to precipitate out (kind of hard to see I know to the bottom of those 5L jugs).

If there isn't an appreciable amount of precipitate, check to see how long it takes to clear film. If it is within the normal range, it is still fine.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've inherited several bottles/can of old devs and chemical over the years. I don't use these for film, but they almost always make good paper devs--contact sheets and work prints only, not serious work to be framed/exhibited.

It's one way to use the stuff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin