Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,400   Online: 1120

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I'll take a competent PQ developer over some of the other developers I've seen out there. Are there any major caveats to using Studional?
    There are a lot of competent PQ film developers available: Ilford Microphen is one, Ilford DD-X is another, and there are also Kodak TMAX and Ilford PQ Universal to name just a few of many.

I have only one potential Studional caveat and I haven't yet tested it.

According to the 2003 Agfa Studional MSDS, the developer contained Potassium Sulfite.

According to the 2007 Agfa Studional MSDS, the developer does not contain any form of sulfite. Without sulfite, the developer should produce image stain and tanning.

Image staining and tanning is fine with me, but it may not be ok with some folks.
    Of course, to prevent staining and tanning, you can always add a few grams of sodium or potassium sulfite to the working developer solution.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When the Agfa Australia MSDS docs were available they were useful since the standards for inclusion were higher. This is from the Australian pdf for Studional concentrate (same as Rodinal Special, as can be confirmed from numerous posts)

Ingredients Name <CAS> Proportion
    Triethanolamine <102-71-6> 30-60 %
    Potassium sulfite <10117-38-1> 10-30 %
    Hydroquinone <123-31-9> 1-5 %
    Potassium bromide <7758-02-3> 1-5 %
    EDTA-alkali salt 1-5 %
    Phenidone <92-43-3> 0-1 %
    Water <7732-18-5> (To 100%)

The pH of the working solution is stated to be 9.3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    When the Agfa Australia MSDS docs were available they were useful since the standards for inclusion were higher. This is from the Australian pdf for Studional concentrate (same as Rodinal Special, as can be confirmed from numerous posts)

Ingredients Name <CAS> Proportion
    Triethanolamine <102-71-6> 30-60 %
    Potassium sulfite <10117-38-1> 10-30 %
    Hydroquinone <123-31-9> 1-5 %
    Potassium bromide <7758-02-3> 1-5 %
    EDTA-alkali salt 1-5 %
    Phenidone <92-43-3> 0-1 %
    Water <7732-18-5> (To 100%)

The pH of the working solution is stated to be 9.3
    Yes John, that's identical to the information in my Agfa Studional File. I wish more countries used the Australian MSDS inclusion standard!
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Yes John, that's identical to the information in my Agfa Studional File. I wish more countries used the Australian MSDS inclusion standard!
    Tom, the Australian Agfa MSDS files are no longer on line. Do you happen to have the one for Neutol-Plus, the ascorbate paper developer? This would be quite interesting for me, since I've heard some good reports of it, including from Richard Knoppow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Tom, the Australian Agfa MSDS files are no longer on line. Do you happen to have the one for Neutol-Plus, the ascorbate paper developer? This would be quite interesting for me, since I've heard some good reports of it, including from Richard Knoppow.
    I'll check my flash drive archives and get back to you, John.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm currently using Rodinal Special with Ilford HP5+ used in my new ETRsi. I like the results. If my exposure and development is correct, I get a nice wide evenly balanced histogram, with potential to be a touch too harsh or contrasty for my taste if I'm not careful. I need to create some slightly tamer custom curves for the Epson 4490 for this film and dev combination, when I get the time. Some stuff in my flickr photoblurt: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantindale/ over the past week or so (from the date of this missive).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Tindale View Post
    I'm currently using Rodinal Special with Ilford HP5+ used in my new ETRsi. I like the results. If my exposure and development is correct, I get a nice wide evenly balanced histogram, with potential to be a touch too harsh or contrasty for my taste if I'm not careful. I need to create some slightly tamer custom curves for the Epson 4490 for this film and dev combination, when I get the time. Some stuff in my flickr photoblurt: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantindale/ over the past week or so (from the date of this missive).
    Thanks for posting your shots. It give me a good idea of how Rodinal Special looks.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Studional with APX---Sharpness

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Anyone use it with APX?
    Yes, in '94 it became my main developer for all things APX. Beautiful tonality, fine grain and fine sharpness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 350617791_3bfd66802a_o.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    I am a little confused about whether it contains Sulfite or not. According to Tom the latest version doesn't, so should produce image staining and tanning. Those using the latest version can perhaps shed light on this. Is there any staining or tanning effect?

What's its active life like compared to Rodinal? Much shorter and more like other PQ developers would be my assumption but that's all it is - an assumption.

Andy. I note you use it for HP5+ as do some other posters with good results. How does it compare with ID11 or DDX for 35mm HP5+ for instance?

I'd assume bigger grain than, say, Perceptol but again it's an assumption. At what size print might this bigger grain, if it is bigger, show itself compared to Perceptol?

Thanks all

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm starting to go off my Rodinal Special - especially for HP5+. I'm fairly sure I could be putting it into something more suitable instead. I get the feeling it's not doing the shadows particularly well. Of course, it could be any number of other factors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin