Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,052   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Rodinal Special: It's Not Rodinal But Is It Special?

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on Rodinal Special (a.k.a. Studional)? I've seen a supply of it and I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a bottle or two. Seems interesting enough, although I understand it has very little in common with standard Rodinal.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it's offering anything over & above most one-shot fine grain developers, but it's convenient. I used to use it a lot when it was previously in the UK (early '80's!), but used it at 1+30 rather than the recommended 1+15, increasing the times by about 50%. The neck of the bottle is the right size to use a 20ml syringe, which will just about reach the bottom of the bottle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    I don't think it's offering anything over & above most one-shot fine grain developers, but it's convenient. I used to use it a lot when it was previously in the UK (early '80's!), but used it at 1+30 rather than the recommended 1+15, increasing the times by about 50%. The neck of the bottle is the right size to use a 20ml syringe, which will just about reach the bottom of the bottle.
    It's sound like it's the equivalent to D-76 (1+1) or XTOL (1+1) in terms of grain and actuance. Would that be correct?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've used it and I like it. It's the best developer for Ilford HP5+ that I've found. Now that it's available again, I'm going to buy some. I have the formula -- or what purports to be the formula -- that I found several years ago on a german website, but I'll pass on mixing my own and just use the pre-packaged. FYI, it's not like Rodinal - much finer grain, different look. Try it, I think you'll like it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use it. I like it as a dev*. It's not one-shot, I get under 20 rolls out of half a bottle of conc mixed up to a litre.

* though I don't like mixing it up - experienced significant vision distortion shortly afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use it to process Agfa Scala as a negative film, and am very happy with its performance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use both Rodinal and Rodinal Special. The name Rodinal Special is a bit misleading as it has little to do with Rodinal as far as I know. Rodinal Special provides finer grain than Rodinal but the short dev times at 1:15 probably does not appeal to a lot of people.

Unfortunately there is little info on the web for higher dilutions but I worked out my times for use with Acros at 1:30 and like it.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again for your input everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on Rodinal Special (a.k.a. Studional)? I've seen a supply of it and I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a bottle or two. Seems interesting enough, although I understand it has very little in common with standard Rodinal.
    Agfa Rodinal Special (a.k.a. Agfa Studional) is a P/Q (Phenidone/Hydroquinone) developer. Looking at the Agfa MSDS, I noticed that Triethanolamine (aka 2,2',2" nitrilotriethanol - and aka TEA) is the alkali ingredient. So, sure, buy some if the price is right. Should give results similar to DDX, Microphen and TMax.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use it quite a lot with HP5+. I like the results.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin