Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,775   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

for comparison: old paper gone bad and new(er)

I've whined a lot about all this paper I bought that had been frozen for several years. My freezer has way more paper than food, and most of it's not so good. The paper, that is.

I like the effect of the old paper for some images. Some look dramatically nice. Many don't.

Here is one I just printed on the old paper, then found some warm-tone fiber paper. I thought I'd post the two just because. There's a big difference.

Janet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img308.jpg   img309.jpg  
    Last edited by jgcull; 11-21-2007 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding attachments

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How old is old? I've used some 15 year old kodak fine art paper and about the same vintage ilford multigrade RC without problems. I've got some mid-80s (earlier?) multigrade III RC that works perfectly fine (bright whites, black blacks, good tones). All this came free with my enlarger and I figured it wouldn't work - imagine my surprise to find it works!
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Images
    Not as old as yours. I have some from 2000, some a little newer. I wonder why mine is so mottled. I've had it with buying old!

But like I said, some I like. I took pictures at the beach and it looks sort of cool on those. I like maybe 1 out of 10. Not very good numbers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They really look mottled. I would hazard a guess that there were some storage problems involving moisture.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The one on the right looks like it has freezer burn and the one on the left looks foggy.

My opinion FWIW. I don't know which is which though.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a flat greyness in the left one. The right hand one has more sparkle. It reminds me of the problem I had with Polymax VC RC I got for free from the seller of a lot of secondhand equipment. I suspect the paper had been in his darkroom stock for a long time and not kept frozen. I am not suggesting that Polymax had an inherent problem. In some prints the effect which gave a kind of warmth was appealing.

The key test for me was that although it was VC, I couldn't alter the grade. You might like to try this test. If you have the same problem of unresponsiveness to grade changes then your paper may be suffering from old age like mine

pentaxuser

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A little benzotriazole or potassium bromide in the developer might fix the flatness of the left-hand print; I've been able to use some really ancient paper that way.

tc

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the one on the right more. The one of the left looks foggy to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The one on the right is mottled more.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm....I have some Ilford paper from 1993 that has been sitting in my closet at my parents house...I shall have to try that next time....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin