Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,122   Online: 1058

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RIT experimented with these in the early-mid 90s
    Mint was supposed to work, lavender and other as well.
    The trick is to get pyrogallol-like compounds such as caffeic acid, menthol (mint), so I assume Rosemary, Thyme and other herbs should work as well.

I do not have a copy of Morrison and Boyd Organic Chemistry anymore, but there is a full chapter on these compounds
    Last edited by titrisol; 12-02-2007 at 03:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks...

"oil of lavender" was also used in the first photo:

http://www.dreamcollage.com/first-photograph.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    thanks...

"oil of lavender" was also used in the first photo:

http://www.dreamcollage.com/first-photograph.htm
    If you look in the alternative process section, someone here on APUG has made a physautotype using oil of lavender.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/3...sautotype.html
    Looks really pretty, it's one of the alt processes I'm looking into trying in the near future.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format

Phyautotype

Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    If you look in the alternative process section, someone here on APUG has made a physautotype using oil of lavender.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/3...sautotype.html
    Looks really pretty, it's one of the alt processes I'm looking into trying in the near future.
    If you click on the link in the above quote you'll see the results of the recent experimentation of Bruce Johnson of Melbourne, Australia (hats off to him for his relentless work). If I'm not mistaken, Bruce is probably the fourth or fifth person ever to make a physautotype, including Niepce himself. (I'm eager to hear from anyone who can disprove this, as I'd be pleased to speak with practicioners of this process).

I've witnessed the process but I've never actually made a phyautotype myself (so far!). I think that Bruce might be the one to pm for practical information. Jean-Louis Marignier, the researcher who re-discovered the process while writing the definitive text on Niepce, tends to be too busy to answer questions.

Hope this helps anyone who might want to play with this interesting process and, in the doing, touch a bit of history!

Best,

Christopher

. . . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just finished developing Tri-X in Thyme...

after 40 minutes there's a faint, but printable image

the negative has a nice amber tone too

next on the list: Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary

I'm pretty confident that Sage & Rosemary will work, less sure of Parsley

Apparently the Rosmarinic acid is a "dimer" of caffeic acid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Rosmarinic Acid is a dimer of Caffeic Acid. Interesting that they would both work, but they are both antioxidants. If parsley works, then parsnip leaves would probably also work, and might be stronger due to the higher level of oils in them.

You may want to get a book on Steroids and Terpenes. These compounds appear to fit into this type of class. If that is the case, Limonene might also work, but if you used lemon juice the ascorbic acid might mask the activity of the oil.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks!

seems it may be time to visit a University library and see what I can find

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm wondering if the amber tone I have might be a dichroic fog...

I usually use a water stop with these experiments

I don't think I have any Farmer's Reducer....but I can try the citric acid/rapid fixer method

Shooter
    35mm
    How about Mello Yello and/or Code Red sodas too? mmmmm... Just a thought.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just noticed...the amber tone is all over the film EXCEPT the portion of the film leader that had stuck out of the film canister into the light....so the fog only formed on the parts of the film that had always been in darkness

and I did find some Farmer's Reducer, so I'll test that later

FWIW I usually add some isopropyl alcohol when I'm mixing up these "organic" brews to help extract the goodies from the plants....apparently some things (like rosmarinic acid IIRC) are more soluble in alcohol than water

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin