Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,482   Posts: 1,644,473   Online: 1020

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    I heard about a photographer instructor who came upon two of his new students with an open box of 4x5 film between them. One was going "One for you, one for me..." When the instructor told them they had ruined the film, they said "No we haven't. It hasn't been in the camera yet."
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Am I missing something here? If this woman had pulled all the film out of the canisters, then they would be exposed and then deveoped into black negs, not blank. Blank would mean that they never saw any light.

Is black what you meant to say and we just have a language barrier here?
    True, but printing a totally exposed neg produces a blank sheet of paper.

I had somebody send a roll of motion picture film that I shot to a telecine, without processing it. Reportedly the person who opened the can was fairly traumatized. We use black tape on the cans to indicate exposed film, but it wasn't noticed.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    where the hell do people come up with such outrageous ideas that dropping a canister of film will blur its contents???
    It helps if you remember that the human race is basically a bunch of $#@%$# idiots.

(C'mon, you all know I'm right...)

Russ
    MSgt, USAF, Retired
    www.camerarefurb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    ive had the film shake experience myself, where the hell do people come up with such outrageous ideas that dropping a canister of film will blur its contents???
    My roommate used to work at a Wolf camera outside of Chicago, and he'd often get angry customers coming in and throwing their film down on the counter.
    His response was to tell them that they'd just ruined the film and it'd probably all be out of focus now.
    Funny that his way of dealing with dumb customers may have just made even dumber ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked my wife to drop off some sheets to be processed. the lady at the counter asked how many sheets? In order to answer her my wife opened the box and counted them. My wife is brilliant, or at least much smarter than i am, but even smart people do dumb things.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A student friend of mine once went to a car boot sale. She told me that she met a woman selling a box of Ilford photographic paper. When my friend asked her how many sheets were in the box, the woman opened the box and inner bag and began counting. Needless to say the seller lost her sale!
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by b1bmsgt View Post
    It helps if you remember that the human race is basically a bunch of $#@%$# idiots.
    I once read something like this: "Consider the average human. Now consider that, by definition, half of humanity is dumber than this person." Cynical, amusing, and -- even more amusingly, in an ironic way -- technically incorrect, since the quote confuses average and median.

More seriously, we live in a very complex world, and there's no way any one person can understand even a tiny fraction of that world. Sadly, our educational system (speaking as a US citizen) seems to be doing a rather poor job with science education at the moment. I doubt if many people really ever knew all that much about photography or photographic materials, or were motivated to learn. No doubt there will be (and probably already are) "dumb consumer" stories related to digital cameras. Perhaps there are people storing their CF cards in light-proof bags, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by kevs
    "I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going."

Kerr Avon. Blake's 7 - 'Horizon'
    I've got that quote on a T-shirt! :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by b1bmsgt View Post

(C'mon, you all know I'm right...)
    Goddammit. OK, I'll be the only one to say it; I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I hate to be the patronising do-gooder, but if noone else is going to bother, someone has to:

This thread is rapidly turning into a 100% bang-on example of why (a) independent camera stores have a reputation for being staffed by up-themselves patronising snobs, and (b) in the main went out of business to be replaced by chains, who may not have known anything about cameras but sure as hell knew how not to treat their customers like imbeciles. (Oh, and (c), why APS and the like was invented.)

Honestly, you people. Were you squeezed out if the womb with an intricate understanding of photography already embedded as some kind of race memory? If not, how did you learn that film is light sensitive and you shouldn't pull it out of the canister? If you hadn't learnt/been taught it somewhere, you wouldn't know it.

My curiosity was piqued, so I just grabbed a couple of rolls of consumer film from the fridge to take a look. First, a roll of Kodak Gold 200 120. The following warnings/instructions are on the box:

Develop before 03/2006 (yeah, it's very old :-).)
    PROCESS C-41
    FOR COLOUR PRINTS

There's nothing else written inside the box or on the foil wrap (other than the ISO.) I'm actually surprised - I was expecting at least an 'open in subdued light', but not even that.

Second roll I grabbed was Agfa CTprecisa 100 in 35mm. On the box

SLIDE FILM
    PROCESS AP 44/E6
    Process before 06/2008
    DAYLIGHT/FLASH

On the inside of the box (which I bet most consumers never read) it says:

Set camera to ISO rating of film. The film should be protected against heat, excessive humidity, X-rays and harmful gases (e.g. formalin vapours.) Exposed film should be developed immediately.

Again, personally I was amazed. This is consumer film, not professional, and yet there is more text warning against formalin vapours (!) than there is actual explanation in English to joe-punter about what to do with the damn stuff to get it developed (like, 'always rewind film before removing from camera and protect from light', or something simple like that.)

Yeah, it's obvious when you know. 35mm is not user friendly, though. People should be allowed to make mistakes and learn without being called idiots.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim;

My packs of film say "Open only in total darkness" or "Open only under light conditions specified for this product".

This is on two boxes of film sitting next to me.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Tim;

My packs of film say "Open only in total darkness" or "Open only under light conditions specified for this product".

This is on two boxes of film sitting next to me.

PE
    Do you want me to scan in the packets to prove I'm not lying, PE (since I assume that's what you're accusing me of)?

(Actually, the only packets I can find which have any kind of warning about light are Kodak EIR and Ilford SFX; most of my film is professional film though so I wasn't really expecting to find warnings on it - the Gold 200 120 and Agfa CT are the only 'consumer' films I could find.)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin