Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,061   Posts: 1,611,436   Online: 1044

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film had not been invented yet.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    true, but I still like the idea

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I once read something like this: "Consider the average human. Now consider that, by definition, half of humanity is dumber than this person." Cynical, amusing, and -- even more amusingly, in an ironic way -- technically incorrect, since the quote confuses average and median.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but IQ is a bell-curve. As such, the mean and median are the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but IQ is a bell-curve. As such, the mean and median are the same.
    Yes, at least as a first approximation, but that's not part of the definition of "average." IQ also isn't exactly a bell curve, since its tails don't go out to infinity in both directions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Yes, at least as a first approximation, but that's not part of the definition of "average." IQ also isn't exactly a bell curve, since its tails don't go out to infinity in both directions.
    Perhaps, since there aren't discreet values. But psychologists do approximate scores beyond a few standard deviations in either direction.

Images
    The curve doesn't have to go from -infinity to +infinity. It only has to be symmetrical about the average. There are worse flaws than that in the concept of measurable intelligence.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I remember a couple students demanding that their photo prof buy them some photo paper to replace theirs since he had not told them that they could not open the package (to divide the sheets between them) in the classroom.

This was 20 years or so ago...somewhere around that time, Kodak stopped writing in big letters on the packages, "Open only under safe lights" or something of that nature.

But even the best and brightest amongst us make stupid mistakes. I took some overly sharp portraits of my parents -- I figured I'd use the stretched-stocking-under-the-lens trick to soften their aging faces. I tried three times with no luck...the image remained sharp -- that's when I figured that the method does not work when contact printing 8x10 negatives.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The concept of (+infinity and -infinity) may be a little esoteric but certainly warrants further investigation.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Images
    I don't know who was responsible for this example of a strange instruction. I know it wasn't related to photography, so rest at ease.
    "Before proceeding to download the program, you must download the downloading program."

Honest. It really happened.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin