Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 819

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Slow speed film/developer combo recommendations?

Well, now that I've got a few months and about 50 rolls experience I want to try playing around a bit more. I've tried a variety of films so far but, have only used HC-110 dilutions B and H to date. I love shooting landscapes and am looking for some really fine grain, sharp film for maximum detail and sharpness. I've been looking at Ilford Pan F, Efke R50, or Rollei Pan 25 films but, have no idea where to start when it comes to developers. I plan to continue using HC-110 and various films for playing but, want to get some stuff for "special" shoots. Anyone have any recommendations on what to try? This will be for 120 film and I have no clue for developer. I'm not worried about price, only the end result. Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can provide.

Aaron
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke View Post
    looking for some really fine grain, sharp film for maximum detail and sharpness ... 120 film
    Note that fine grain, sharpness and detail gets you microfilm. I've never liked the look of this stuff when processed for continuous tone.

TechPan was the finest pictoral film available. It was designed for monitoring solar flares. Now that solar flare monitoring is all digital TP has lost it's major market and is no longer made. Old stocks are still auctioned off on ebay at ridiculous prices.

The finest grain/highest resolution combo capable of taking 'normal' photographs that I know of is TMax-100 in Microdol-X. It is very close to TechPan in quality. Derate the film to ASA 50 and use the M-X full strength for the finest grain.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now, bear in mind that I seem to have a high grain tolerance. In fact I like grain. But I believe that you will be hard pressed to find the grain produced with Rodinal and the films you mentioned objectionable. Rodinal is easy to use, produce sharp results and last for ages. If you want even more sharpness from efke films - go for homebrew Beutler or FX1. If you don’t mind to spend a few extra bucks you can buy some Neofin Blau.

I can also recommend Pyrocat P and PC with efke films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aaron, I would try your luck with Efke 25 and pyrocat-hd developer. It will be a challenge, but I think you will enjoy it once you have the basics taken care of. Use a yellow filter if you have skies in the shot, or blue will be white. Hope you have a good tripod, as you will need a slow shutter, little wind and plenty of patience. You won't have to worry about grain with this combination. Best, tim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Aaron, I agree with Tim on this one. The Efke 25 is great film if you like the look of it. I happen to like it. The attached shot is a 4x5 neg in Pyrocat HD 1:1:150 minimal agitation. Grain is not an issue.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Try TMAX 100 in TMAX RS developer. Essentially grainless, even at 20x24 inch print size.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone While I like TMAX for my farting around 35mm stuff, it doesn't quite have the "feel" I want. I'm still learning and I guess don't really know who to thoroughly explain what it is I am after. I know I mentioned Pan F but, the more I look at shots of it, the less I think it's what I'm after. I do like the the examples of Efke 50 a lot and think that's what I'll try first. Still have no clue when it comes to developers though. I'll definitely take a look into Pyrocat. I read about Efke not liking chem stop baths. Anyo one had any experience with this? So should I just do a water stop?
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Efke 25 in FG-7 1:15, no Sodium Sulfite, as many people like to do, and I may start doing as it supposedly reduces grain further?
    It doesn't scan the best and grain is a bit more apparent than you'd expect from 4x5s of 25 ISO film, but it's still only apparent for me with a loupe on a 20x24 print of a poorly exposed negative.
    The look of this combination though is something that just kills me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rollei ATP-V1.1 Technical Pan is made AGAIN.
    Developers: Kodak Technidol, SPUR Technospeed/Rollei ATP dev. , Moersch UGI, Rollei Low Contrast 1+5. E.I. 20-40 depending on the light circumstances and developer.

Available in 35mm, 100ft/30,5m and up from April 2008 in 120 roll film.

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...lisch_mail.pdf
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/ATP-V1.pdf

Best regards,

Robert

Some experiments with the film in SPUR Imagespeed (E.I. 32) and R.L.C. :

some very small part of the 35mm negative:

Rollei ATP-V1 Technical Pan in Rollei Low Contrast (R.L.C.) 1+5 6:00 min.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin