Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,705   Online: 1084

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Tmax 400 scratches, scratched from Kodak?

So I developed the first roll I put through my new Rolleiflex 2.8C and I had a scratch (actually two close parallel scratches) running almost the complete length of the roll. I went all through the camera and could not find anyway that the camera could have put a scratch there and similarly for the film reel used. So I shot another roll with the same equipment and there are no scratches. So now my question is were the scratches there when I bought the film? My first thought was that maybe they had a bad lot but the second roll was from the same 5 roll pack...

So was it scratched when I bought it and if so is it possible or worth it to get a replacement from Kodak?

Here is a sample

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img072.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Those scratches are most likely produced in the camera. All similar ones that I have ever seen were produced in that manner.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That was my first thought as well, but I really cannot find anything anywhere that could cause those scratches and I went over it pretty throughly. My only other thought with it being in camera is that maybe a piece of grit got in there and came out (next roll was fine) but I can't see that that would create such an even mark across 10 frames. I'm not saying that it wasn't the camera but I really don't see how it could have. For some of the length of the scratch it was visible on the backing paper (the side facing the film) so it took a bit of force to do that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    To be honest, I doubt it was scratched from the factory if the second roll in the 5 pack was good. It is odd that the scratch went all the way through to the backing paper, though. Do you remember having to wind a little harder at all for the first frame or 2? Maybe the grit got embedded in there somehow? Wierd. My best guess is like you said, a piece of "grit" or a spec of sand, etc...was on the film back or worked it's way there. It is always a pity when this happends...makes me paranoid for about 3 rolls aftward, and then I forget about it for a year until I get a scratched roll again...then I clean out the camera with a fine tooth comb...again :-)
    All the best,
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are clear scratches. Normal scratches remove the emulsion and leave black streaks on the film due to lack of silver. These are clear indicating that there is more development in lines.

Am I correct that the lines on the film are dark?

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes they do appear dark on the film, here is a closeup on the scratch:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img072-2.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome to the world of "Let's find where the scratch came from" game!! I had some that drove me absolutely batty in my Leica lllc. The culprit ..... pressure plate. The remedy ....... If you can remove the pressure plate, that is desirable. Then, here is a trick I learned from a Leica "Finemechanik" - Get some rubbing compound like the kind you use on cars or a jewlers rouge and rub the bejeebies out of it. Then, rub the snot out of it with a chamois. Should fix it. He told me once he had a M7 that had no visible marks on the pressure plate with a high magnification loupe but after this treatment it solved the problem. Good luck.

Mike
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably not Kodak's fault. I've been a Kodak user for 29 years and I've never had a scratch, bubble, crease, dent, blister or any defect on any roll from them. It could happen, but not likely. The fault is probably in the camera. You may have gotten rid of the culprit when you opend the back to load the 2nd roll. These things happen.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Probably not Kodak's fault. I've been a Kodak user for 29 years and I've never had a scratch, bubble, crease, dent, blister or any defect on any roll from them. It could happen, but not likely. The fault is probably in the camera. You may have gotten rid of the culprit when you opend the back to load the 2nd roll. These things happen.
    Good to hear, part of why I asked was to see if anyone else had run into an issue with the film itself and it doesn't sound like it. I'll feel better shooting the remaining rolls now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well guys, in general, a DARK line on film is not a scratch, it is something else, usually a pressure line or a chemical mark. A LIGHT line is a scratch!

So, my diagnosis is that this is not a scratch by something removing emulsion from the negative.

However, the line on the left does have dark outriders. But then again it has light outriders. This is very unusual. I would suggest something has caused pressure sensitization and has also scratched the film enough to cause dark and light marks. This may have happened most anywhere.

I have also noticed what appears to be a regular micro reticulation pattern in the enlarged image. Does anyone else have any comments on this or the comment about scratches?

BTW, it is hard to say if this could be caused by EK. Sometimes film groups come in-line and sometimes side-by-side. If it was in-line, then all packages in a group would have the scratch, but if it was side-by-side, then each roll would have avoided the problem except those in-line in the next group.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin