Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,045   Online: 904

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Glycin supplier in UK

can anyone tell me where I can get Glycin in the UK?

Silverprint don't do it. Retrophotographic don't answer phone or emails.

Anywhere else?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Glycin

Retrophotographic have just moved premises and are getting back inline with their backlog of orders, etc. Nigel Dear who runs retro. is really nice and helpful, so I suggest you hang on a bit for a reply! They don't have glycin in their list of raw chemicals but he may be able to source some.
    Anton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Rob,

I believe the only people that make Glycin for photographic purposes is Photographers Formulary in the US. I have bought it from them in the past with no problems. Martin Reed, owner of Silverprint has posted elsewhere on apug asking for suggestions on what people would like them to stock. Perhaps he could be persuaded?

Barry

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    How long does Glycin keep for in its pure form? I understand that it goes off quite quickly, but how quickly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never kept any for more than about a week in powder form so can't help you there.

I used mine for mixing up Ansco 130 developer. Once mixed the developer seems to keep working for weeks. There have been a lot of posts on apug regarding the keeping properties of Glycin. Some suggest mixing it with Propylene Glycol. Best do a search.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've kept mine frozen in my freezer for more than two years. I normally use it to make Ansco 130, but to test to see if the glycin was still good, I mixed up a bit of GSD-10 film developer which contains only glycin as a developing agent. The film developed as I expected. So, in my experience, freezing glycin preserves the dry powder.
    juan

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks, that's useful to know.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin