Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,606   Online: 1076

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pschauss View Post
    I use HC-110 (dilution H) for fast film and Rodinal for slow film. Both are economical because you only use small quantities and they do not degrade after they are opened.
    Exactly the same here
    Stefano Ricciardi
    My photos on Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shelf life of XTOL

Hi,
    A first post, so please excuse any breaches of protocol! I've been using XTOL for the last year, and have been lucky (?) with the length of time it's remained good. Mixed 5L back in March, and still going strong although I'm about to mix a fresh batch. Ironically, I jumped ship from HC110 (B and H), not because there was anything wrong but because I fancied a change. Had good results with HC110 though, getting good results on low and high speed films (FP4, Pan F, Neopan 400, 1600). On balance, I prefer XTOL 1:1 on my current 'squeeze' , Neopan 400. Would also be interested in any Aculux experiences anyone can offer with Fuji films...
    Best Regards,

Paul

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually use Rodinal for slow films and Diafine for fast, and keep some HC-110 around as a backup. All three seem to keep forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got my first bottle of ilford's DD-X

how long does that last??

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Another vote for DD-X. Not cheap, but really, really good. Right up there with Xtol, without the hassle of having to mix powders.

Ironically Tri-X in DD-X is sheer magic.

DD-X is my main developer. I use it for Tri-X and D3200 @ 1:4 dilution.

The only problem with DD-X is that it doesn't radically change color, when it starts to go south, although I have noticed a yellowish tint as it gets stale. What you will notice is the grain increasing and it will develop a stronger smell. Fresh DD-X also has a certain acidic feel, when it gets on your hands.... I suppose you could always put a few drops on the film leader. If you get a reaction after 1-2 minutes, it should be alive.

If you shoot slow films (125 asa or less), Rodinal is really hard to beat. It is amazingly versatile and can deliver a variety of looks. I also lasts forever. Rodinal makes very sharp negatives, with beautiful tonality. Some people use it with high speed films like Tri-X, because it brings the grain out.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    I just got my first bottle of ilford's DD-X

how long does that last??
    Press the air out of the bottle and screw the cap on tightly. I also put some plastic wrap between the screw top and bottle, for a better seal. You could also divide it among a few small brown, glass bottles.

I think Ilford recommends 3-4 months, but check the PDF on their site.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin