Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,586   Posts: 1,622,193   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Liquid developer suggestion

Hi,

I started to make my own developing with Xtol but I do not shot many rolls of film (1 or 2 a week) and the solution expires quite fast.
    I was looking for a liquid developer as a substitute, an all-purpose developer with good keeping properties, a good compromise between acutance and fine grain, and, if possible, inexpensive.

I can easily find near by Ilford developers (DD-X, Ilfosol-S, LC-29), Kodak HC-110, Rodinal, some Rodinal clones (Fomadon R09; Adolux APH09) and Paterson Aculux 3.

Could you give me a suggestion?
    I normally use Fomapan film (100, 200 and 400) and some HP5+ and HP4+. All 35mm.

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Nuno Campos.

Images
    My all-round developer has become HC-110. I use it with everything I shoot, Foma 100, Plus-X, Tir-X, T-Max 100. I have no complaints with it. The bottle I have I bought 2 years ago and immediatelyl decanted it into small red liquid medicine bottles. The last bottle I opened looks just like it did when I filled it. My second choice is Rodinal. Use it on everything listed above plus Acros and FP4+. Again, no complaints. Rodinal doesn't seem to work well with HP5+. My Rodinal bottle was opened 3+ years ago and although dark brown, still works fine.

The Ilfosol-S has a short shelf life after opening. Ilfotec HC is a HC-110 clone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you're willing to learn to use a staining developer, PMK Pyro will last for years.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As acutance and fine grain are of importance to you I would certainly give Ilford's LC-29 a try. I just prefered it to their DDX and Ilfosol-S with regard to fineness of grain particularly with the smaller formats. A good all rounder in my opinion.

However I prefer by far PMK Pyro which is available ready mixed. Its tonal range, acutance and fineness of grain with films like HP5 and Delta 400 certainly in the 35mm format is exceptional IMO. Great things have been published on Pyrocat-HD but I've yet to try this one.

At the end of the day only you can decide on what suits you. Some trial and error awaits.

Good luck,
    Trevor.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nuno,
    If you're interested in PMK Pyro or Pyrocat developers, I recommend you check out the articles on this site: www.unblinkingeye.com.
    Also, you should get a copy of "The Book of Pyro" by Gordon Hutchings.

Dan
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    HC-110: It is inexpensive, easy to use, lasts "indefinitely" (in concentrate form) and it just plain works great!

Images
    I use HC-110 (dilution H) for fast film and Rodinal for slow film. Both are economical because you only use small quantities and they do not degrade after they are opened.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HC 110, DDX, TMAX, and Clayton F76 all come to mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i started using sprint film developer again.
    it is kind of like d76 but different.
    comes in a cube or a 1L tube and is ez to mix ( 1:9 ).

i stopped using it for a good 10 years, and started using it again
    and am glad i did ...
    their fixer is amazing too.

-john

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilfotec HC hasn't been mentioned, so I'll do the honours. For just about every film I have used it's top notch - but I still prefer Neofin blau for Efke 25.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin