Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,794   Online: 944

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DKT

If it's on the edges, it could be as much from bad storage...if it's overall, in the image area--there are ways to bleach out a print and redevelop it, among other things. All this falls into the realm of conservation though...I don't do any of this at work, we mostly stabilize (and copy for old photos) objects, because restoration isn't exactly kosher in the archive/museum business...if there were other problems from storage or the environment with a print, then reprocessing them just opens a whole new can of worms. Better to copy first, then try to do the work. That way if you mess them up, you still have something. Our approach is strictly hands off though--literally--any work is done by professional conservators. ...from my "work" point of view, I'd say either reprint them (if you can) or copy them. If the prints were a couple of years old, that's one thing. But they're getting on 30 now, and while that's not old, I copy "artifacts" that age everyday...'course, they're yours, you can do whatever you want to them.

btw--a good copy neg, or dupe neg, can be very close to the original in quality, it's just most people don't put the time or effort into making good copynegs...

KT

Wow, alot of great information about copying. Great stuff to know. But not really needed as I do still have the negatives. They were just alot of work to print at the time as I recall. Just was looking to preserve what I've got. Thanks for all the information!

And Thanks for explaining the yellow filter Lee. I misunderstood. And hopefully most of all my present work will be 4x5 at least. In fact, I think I may leave my 35mm system at home with this trip to Europe. Just a Contax T3 and my Wisner. Entirely different approach, it should be an interesting journey lol

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chrisl @ Apr 11 2003, 03:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    And Thanks for explaining the yellow filter Lee. I misunderstood. And hopefully most of all my present work will be 4x5 at least. In fact, I think I may leave my 35mm system at home with this trip to Europe. Just a Contax T3 and my Wisner. Entirely different approach, it should be an interesting journey lol </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    you are welcome. I think I might rethink this using the 4x5 in Europe. When will you get to back to Europe? If soon, OK. If never, or at least not for a long time, I would take something that I am familiar with using. This goes back to old saw that one should not learn or experiment on a paying job. Pretend that the trip to Europe is a paying job. Just my 2 cents. I would wait until I have some more experience with the Wisner.

lee&#092;c

Lee, I know what you mean. But this won&#39;t be my only time going to Europe, so it&#39;s not a &#39;once in a lifetime&#39; affair. So there&#39;s no real pressure to produce something. That makes it easier to just shoot 4x5. I feel pretty confident though as my first outing last week with Aggie, I didn&#39;t mess up one shot except for dropping a holder in wet grass, and not having the reciprocity information on hand. I think if I take it real slow as to not forget a step, it should turn out ok. If not, no biggie. Say La Vi&#39; (?sp)hehe

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    well, good luck. Work really slow and keep someone with you to watch the stuff while your head is under the darkcloth. You might find that tripods are not welcome in the larger cities. I am not trying to talk you out of taking it but only trying to make you aware of some of the issues largeformat shooters face.

lee&#092;c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    One other thing I just thought of. When I traveled out of the US with cameras and stuff, I always took my cameras and junk to the airport and went to the Customs area and found someone to inventory my stuff and give me a piece of paper saying I OWNED this junk BEFORE I left the US. That way there can be no issue bringing it back into the US. I know, I know, paranoid, but that is the way it happens at my house.

lee&#092;c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks Lee, that is a good idea and one I never would&#39;ve thought of. And who&#39;d a thought that using a tripod to shoot would be an issue when millions of photographs without tripods in tourist towns like Paris. I&#39;ll keep a heads up.
    I did up my home owners insurance for all this new gear just in case though.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have always heard that to use a tripod in the streets of NYC you need a permit. I have talked to several photogs there and no one seems to really know if this is true or just an urban legend. I will post a note on one of the other listserves and see if that applys to Paris also.

lee&#092;c

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin