Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,066   Online: 888

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    Yikes, can someone explain in layman's terms to me about all the technical terms spoken here? lol

Thanks guys for the thorough explanations, although I understood only 1% of what's being talked about.

Another question - if I use BW400CN or XP2 Super, and have a lab develop them, I guess I'm at their mercy when it comes to wanting prints with high dynamic range?
    Are you talking about something that looks like the "HDR" computer gimmick?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    ... If you are hell bent on extending the scene brightness range you can record, you could develop to a CI of 0.3 and stretch it out to about 10 log units. Where you will get such a scene to photograph I do not know and probably would rather not know...
    I know, and have needed to do it...

I shot a partial solar eclipse, four exposures at 15 minute intervals, on APX100, developed in Windisch' extreme compensating pyrocatechin developer. To my surprise I could see not only details in the foreground (shadowed) shrubbery, but I could also see sunspots! I don't know what SBR that translates to, and I'm not really sure I need to know.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    I was privileged to photograph a total eclipse from my front yard in Newport News VA in 1970. I prepared for days testing ND filters and making a jury rigged telescope-camera kluge. Everything went well except my FP shutter hung up half way across. I don't remember for how long, but I was able to print the image by some really strong dodging, or burning, whichever you want to call it. Of course, at the moment of totality the thing you want to see it the diamond ring, and I got that. If I can find the print, I'll post it. It was on display at the Mariner's Museum for quite a while.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Are you talking about something that looks like the "HDR" computer gimmick?
    No, I wasn't talking about the HDR technique from Photoshop. I was looking at Ansel Adam's images, and the tonality he got from B&W film he used were astounding. I was wondering if that's possible without using C-41 B&W film.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, I wasn't talking about the HDR technique from Photoshop. I was looking at Ansel Adam's images, and the tonality he got from B&W film he used were astounding. I was wondering if that's possible without using C-41 B&W film.
    It's perfectly possible. The films, developers and papers we have available today can be had in equivalent or better than what he had to work with.

*Hint- its not the materials....or the camera... or the lens....

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry, what I meant was is this possible using C-41 B&W film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry, what I meant was is this possible using C-41 B&W film.
    This is just my opinion, but ...

Probably not.

For one thing, you likely aren't going to get Ansel Adams type tonal ranges out of 35mm film. (others may disagree) But even if possible, Adams, and many others (including a few of us ) have worked very hard to learn and CONTROL the materials and only achieve the results you desire by doing the work themselves. You will never get the "look" of an Ansel Adams by having the drugstore develop and print your pictures.

Images
    A famous violinist of old, Fritz Kreisler I believe, would give a recital and at the end, after playing with magnificent beauty, he would smash the violin. He told the horrified audience it was not his famous Strad but one he got at Sear Roebuck for $1.98. (That could be done in those days.) I think it was that way with Adams. What he produced would have come out of him no matter what tools he had. Interesting that he was a very skilled musician, is it not?

A more recent violinist, Isaac Stern, when complimented on his playing, said "I left no tone unSterned. To a lady who complimented him on his fine violin, he said "Madam, would you play a passage on it for me? I never get to hear it from a distance." When someone asked Michelangelo how he did such fine sculpture, he said "If I want to carve an elephant, I take a big block of marble and simply cut away everything that doesn't look like an elephent."

None of us are going to get to be like Ansel by using his tools and materials.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dynamic range depends on density of the developed film and contrast (gamma). Typically max density is about 3. Lets say gamma is 0.55 than dynamic range is about 13-15 stops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak tests all B&W films in one release process. IIRC it is D76.

This process is used to get the speed and contrast.

So, if you accept the fact that a negative film has a contrast of about 0.6 and a dmax of about 3.0 you can plot this on paper to get the latitude in Density vs Log E. It is quite simple.

A 160 negative film can yield usable pictures from ISO 25 to about ISO 800.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin