Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,385   Online: 769

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Jan

I am tempted...honestly...always fancied a nice Linhof to go with the Leica and PENTAX 6x7...and of course I am in the very fortuanate position that I probably pay a lot less for my film than you do...

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Jan

I am tempted...honestly...always fancied a nice Linhof to go with the Leica and PENTAX 6x7...and of course I am in the very fortuanate position that I probably pay a lot less for my film than you do...

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    There are definite advantages to owning your own film manufacturer

Although I don't use much D3200, I have to say I appreciate Ilford's manufacture of the stock in MF as well as 35mm. I probably wouldn't bother shooting MF for photojournalism, who the hell else besides me still uses film for newsprint anyway, but certainly for other low-light applications it is important to be able to still get relatively fine-grain for the speed, so the high speed stocks are the most important ones to have available in larger formats in my opinion.

Kodak, on the other hand, stubbornly refuses to make T-Max 3200 in MF, and recently cut out it's Ultra Color neg films from the MF arsenal as well, citing something about a different film base. Now that they have inexplicably improved their T-Max 400 film, they make no changes to their 100 or P3200 T-Maxes. Baffling. . .

Ilford Harman is doing something that Kodak seems incapable of doing, LISTENING to its customers, and I congratulate you for it. You really have the nicest, most diverse line of products available in B&W today. Some of them probably don't make very much money at all, but you continue to make them because they are a part of a whole, and each one provides something that no other film can offer.

Now, if you really want to make some people happy, come out with a Delta-II line to compete with T-Max400-2.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Better go with something larger like 8x10 and then have some Delta 3200 made to fit

jan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Harry,

Thanks for the nice report on DELTA 3200 : I have to say your shots look fabulous : As I have reported before its my absolute film of choice ( at the moment ) and I love the grain, devved in whatever is in one of the the darkrooms when I sneak in lunchtime.

Regards
    Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Hello Simon -

Thanks again for such a great film.

I think you may have gotten my post mixed up with that of dpurdy (#5).

I hadn't posted any images so far, but you can see some of my work here:

www.elanphotos.com

Everything on my site is either Tri-X or D3200. If it's dark or heavily overcast it was probably shot with D3200.

I am currently working on a long term project on London. It consists primarily of street photography, but also contains some location shots etc. A sample of this work is on my site under 'London in Passing'. I'm keeping the rest under wraps until it is completed.

Delta 3200 is key to this essay, due to the low light conditions I encounter even during the day in the London fall and winter. For street photography I need to be able to shoot at f16 with a minimum of 1/125th to ensure that my subjects are in focus and motion is frozen.

So, my choice was to push Tri-X to 1600 (which brings up contrast and grain up) or use D3200. Obviously D3200 delivers a much better negative under these circumstances. Grain is very reasonable, but more important is the low contrast of the emulsion, which appears to prevent the shadows and highlights from blocking up. Of course it also helps that the base speed of D3200 is 1000-1200 asa, so to get to 1600 you are only pushing about a half stop. In documentary photography that almost doesn't register as an exposure error.

I love Tri-X, but under these circumstances I don't think you can equal the performance of D3200 with a traditional emulsion.

Anyhow, it's great stuff and I'm glad to have it. A few years ago, before the restructuring at Ilford I was in something of a panic, because I feared the loss of D3200. That would have been a disaster, but luckily everything worked out in the end.

thanks,

HL
    Last edited by Harry Lime; 11-30-2007 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    one of my all time favourite fast films too. especially in MF.

I am strange.. but I always expose as 12.500iso and develop in Rodinal.
    that is a great film for my Diana images.

fantastic film!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _Diana.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin