Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,529   Posts: 1,543,963   Online: 1082

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that Tri-X does not work well at 1600 when dev'd in Diafine. Neopan 1600 is spot on. Also Diafine is somewhat of a contrast reducing dev so that might also have played a part in your whites turning out grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Don't meter the ice! Negative film is based on shadow detail, not highlights. I would try either spot metering a shadow area or use the incident (sp?) reading point back to where you will be sitting.

I like to use homebrew "Acufine" for pushing. I can push TX to 6400? (it's been awhile) with ok results; remember you're giving up some image quality to get the shot. I'll try to dig out the recipe and times for you.
    Yes, spot metering black would have been better but the only black in the arena was on parts of the uniform of one of the teams and the puck! Upon, reflection, there was plenty of mid-tones I could have used. D'oh.

Home brew 'Acufine' sound's interesting. Anything that you can post will be appreciated.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, homebrew "Acufine" (this is the teaspoon formula; hopefully you have the same size teaspoons, et al, that we have in the US; I'm told that they're not all the same.

H2O...2.5 cups
    Phenidone...1/8 tsp
    Sod. Sulfite...2 tblspns + 1 tsp
    Hydroquinone...1.5 tsp
    Borax...0.5 tsp
    Sod. carbonate...3/8 tsp
    Pot. Bromide...1/8

This was courtesy of Paul farber who wrote for Peterson's Photographic.

I've pushed TX to 3200 (sorry, not 6400 like I said) and devved for 21 min with "Acufine" 1+1. 20C.

But I have done TMZ to 6400 in "Acufine" 1+0, 7.5 min. 21C.

I strongly advise test rolls. Your definition of quality may be different than mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot, after mixing up the above, add H2O to make 1 quart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot, after mixing up the above, add H2O to make 1 quart.
    Thank you Jim.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Images
    OK, homebrew "Acufine" (this is the teaspoon formula; hopefully you have the same size teaspoons, et al, that we have in the US; I'm told that they're not all the same.

H2O...2.5 cups
    Phenidone...1/8 tsp
    Sod. Sulfite...2 tblspns + 1 tsp
    Hydroquinone...1.5 tsp
    Borax...0.5 tsp
    Sod. carbonate...3/8 tsp
    Pot. Bromide...1/8

This was courtesy of Paul farber who wrote for Peterson's Photographic.

I've pushed TX to 3200 (sorry, not 6400 like I said) and devved for 21 min with "Acufine" 1+1. 20C.

But I have done TMZ to 6400 in "Acufine" 1+0, 7.5 min. 21C.

I strongly advise test rolls. Your definition of quality may be different than mine.
    The standard US teaspoon is 5 ml. Go figure! The tablespoon is 15 ml. We still can't accept metric machine screws.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Incidentally, I wrote the article "Kitchen Tested Soups" for Petersens before that.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    The standard US teaspoon is 5 ml. Go figure! The tablespoon is 15 ml. We still can't accept metric machine screws.
    Thanks, this is good to know. We're metric up here in Canada.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Incidentally, I wrote the article "Kitchen Tested Soups" for Petersens before that.

Interesting! Do you have and can you post the recipes? They would be fun to look at. Or, would that violate copyright/Petersens policy?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used tri-x pushed in Xtol for theater performances and it was reasonable, but if I do it again, I'll probably go straight to a Tmax 3200 or something similar. I've found that xtol is a pretty reasonable push developer, but the shadows are still pretty thin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin