Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,607   Online: 808

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    I've developed it with D-76 (ID-11 should work the same), HC-110, Microphen and TMax RS. Just follow the times on the massive dev chart. IMO, D-76 gives the best results.
    I am curious to know which of these developers gives you the sharpest grain using Tr-X?

Roger Pellegrini
    Sparkill, NY

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Interesting! Do you have and can you post the recipes? They would be fun to look at. Or, would that violate copyright/Petersens policy?
    Petersens paid for 1 time use. They never concerned themselves with giving me any credit for subsequent use of the idea of teaspoon recipes. If I can find the recipes, I will post them.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is always black somewhere, like the palm of your hand, meter into it to get a decent shadow value. Or under your shoe or whatever. Either that or do the incident metering aiming at where you're sitting/standing.
    No matter what you do after that, you will never get it right with any developer if you mess up your metering. Push processing film will always make for lost shadow detail.
    In my experience, shoot Tri-X at an exposure index of 1000 if you use Diafine. Has worked like a charm for me in the past. See attached photograph. Metered on the back side of the mother's top garment. From 35mm neg.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Yes, spot metering black would have been better but the only black in the arena was on parts of the uniform of one of the teams and the puck! Upon, reflection, there was plenty of mid-tones I could have used. D'oh.

Home brew 'Acufine' sound's interesting. Anything that you can post will be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TA Lith 01.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi
    For nine years I was the team photographer for the Hockey Teams in Tacoma, Washington. The teams were Jr. team ( Rockets) and minor league ( Sabercats). I shot mostly color negitives and BxW. The BxW was Tmax 3200 rated at 1600 and dev. for the contrast that looked best to me. I shot 7 or 8 rolls the first game, processed one roll and adjusted processing time for the rest of the rolls. The grain was good and sold many prints. I did try Tri-x once or twice and didn't like the grain or "look". Tri-x is my favorite filn in sheet sizes, but didn't work for me in this situation.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Hi All,

I was recently using Tri-X at EI 1600 while photographing a hockey game. I attempted to account for the white ice by compensating 1 1/3 stops but this ultimately proved to be insufficient. The shots were still underexposed after I developed them with Diafine. I don't think Diafine gives Tri-X a 2 stop boost. I'm wondering if pushing with some other developer wouldn't have been a better option.

After processing the Tri-X in Diafine and making some prints, it became evident that I would be getting gray-blacks. A Kodak 4 polymax filter helped but the pictures are not right as they still seem a little flat. I could intensify the negative but that won't bring out the detail that isn't there.

Anyone have any ideas how I can salvage them?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin