Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,586   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Difference between Velox and Azo?

There is so much interest in the discontinued Azo contact paper, yet no one ever mentions Kodaks other discontinued years ago contact paper Velox. I wonder just how good or bad it was compared to Azo. I remember my first darkroom home processing kit came with a teeny-tiny package of Velox for making contact prints of my 120 size negtatives. I cannot judge from my first stumbling results the potential of that paper. I would assume Velox was targeted at the amateur market, and Azo was targeted at the professional market, but as we know from Verichrome Pan, being an amateur product does not mean inferior quality. I loved Verichrome Pan and used it for many professional images over the years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, Velite was more of an analog to Azo than Velox. Velox was almost enlarging speed, while Velite was able to be handled in dim room lights. Velite and Azo were considered gaslight papers.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also remember Velox from my first home processing kit.

I think Velox was used more as a proofing medium and for prints in quantity. My grandfather used to be a newspaper journalist, and he always called the proofs they used in the newsroom "Veloxes."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Actually, Velite was more of an analog to Azo than Velox. Velox was almost enlarging speed, while Velite was able to be handled in dim room lights. Velite and Azo were considered gaslight papers.

PE
    Well, actually I was referring to the "image quality" rather than a comparison of speed. Were Velox, Velite and Azo all silver chloride papers?

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    David,

when I first started in the graphic arts field the term "Velox" was used for prints made in the darkroom with halftone line screens and then pasted down on a layout board and then re-photographed so that everything was "in position" for a page negative. From that page neg a plate was burned and developed then hung on an offset press. I would bet the term is now gone.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think that's what they were. He showed me some of them when I was a kid and he took me on a tour of the printing plant, and he had some--mostly sports photos--in his collection of memorabilia from his newspaper days (he eventually went into PR).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Velox was 2-3 stops faster than Azo. It was primarily made for the print finishing industry as it was available in long rolls to fit automatic processing machines. Almost every "drug store" print was made on Velox.
    Velox was much colder than AZo. It was only made in single weight, glossy - "F", while Azo was considered a higher quality paper and available in "F" or "G", IIRC.
    Print quality was equivalent to Azo.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Velite was an economy version of Azo, but Velox was never considered a companion to either product. It was, as noted above, used in rolls. Azo came in 19 surfaces and 4 grades, Velite came in 1 surface and 2 grades or 3 IIRC. Velox was a unicontrast paper (not to be confused with VC papers) which was used by the photofinishing and printing trade. IDK how many different grades and surfaces Velox came in but I suspect it was only SW Glossy.

Velite was discontinued in the late 40s or mid 50s. Velox was made in the mid 50s and late 50s IIRC.

I know nothing about the formulas of Velite and Velox. I suspect that Velite was a chloride similar to Azo, but slower.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There were automatic processing machines in the 1950's? Learn something new every day. I would have been almost 20 years off guessing when they became widespread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Pako and Kodak made printers and processing equipment for the photofinisher market even in the 40s. I've used much of it. One 'automated' machine processed single sheets of any size from 3x4 up to about 11x14 or so. It used baskets on chains.

We even processed early Type C color paper in this old machine. It functioned flawlessly.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin