Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,244   Online: 770

Shooter
    Medium Format

Agfa Rodinal “New” vs “Old” question

OK people, calm down, calm down!

This is not one of those rumor posts that have Agfa like the Phoenix rising from the ashes; this is a question about Rodinal developing times.

Also, if this question has been posted previously, I honestly do not want to waste the forums time, but I can’t find the question & answer that I am looking for.

I recently came across some bottles of Rodinal, (which are old, perhaps from the 1980’s. (The data sheet says © 1982 and indicates that Agfa is located in Teterboro, NJ).

The developing times are as follows:

1:25 Dilution

Agfapan 25 @ 4 min
    Agfapan 100 @ 5 min
    Agfapan 400 @ 7 min

A newer bottle of Rodinal that I have (no ©, but Agfa is now out of Ridgefield Park, NJ) lists the developing times as follows:

1:25 Dilution

Agfapan APX 25 @ 6 min
    Agfapan APX 100 @ 8 min
    Agfapan APX 400 @ 7 min

Various Agfa data sheets that I found in PDF format, are even more confusing, with each revision, the times likewise change. Anyway, big difference in times!

My question is this, is the change in development times due to a change in the chemistry of Rodinal, or a change in the emulsion of the film?

A second question arises then, regardless of whether the answer is a change in chemistry or film emulsion. Rather than trying to date Agfa chemistry, film or even paper by the address at any one given time or some © notice, did Agfa ever, ever date code the products, even in the most rudimentary way?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The APX films and the the non APX are different emulsions. AFAIK in the recent decades nothing was changed on Rodinal what affected the development times.
    Note: I'm talking abot the bottles from AGFA and A&O (who took over the chemical part from Agfa Photo), not J&C, not Foma, not ADOX, not ORWO, not "original Rodinal" (whatever this is).
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As stated above, the Agfa films DID change over the years, requiring a revision of the developing times.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    As stated above, the Agfa films DID change over the years, requiring a revision of the developing times.
    This pdf file is an excerpt from an Agfa Australia newsletter from approx 1978.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rodinal1978.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thanks to all who responded

Thanks to all who responded!

I kind of thought that it was indeed a change of emulsion, after all the box of APX with the big bold "New Emulsion" logo on it, kind of gave it away, but I just wanted to be sure.

As for the other question I raised, did Agfa ever date code the items (chemistry, paper, etc.) in any way?

Once again, thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin