Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,483   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Scales in the UK

Does anyone know of a good place to buy scales for weighing chemistry in the UK (preferably London or Birmingham)?

I just bought a Myweigh pocketscale from an online retailer, but it was hopelessly crap and I sent it back. So I would preferably actually like to see the scale before I buy unless anyone here can actually recommend a scale that they know is OK.

I searched the forums and the most recommended was a Toyo pocket scale, but these are extremely hard to get here at the moment.

I need something like 100g-200g in 0.1g increments.

Thanks for any advice.
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.
    Join the lith printing forum at http://www.lithprinting.net/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoml View Post

I need something like 100g-200g in 0.1g increments.
    silverprint sell the salter 1250 for £35, but you can get them from amazon for £10 cheaper. I use them and they are fine, but the tray is a bit small, other than that they're fine. Will cope with up to 250g at 0.1 increments so perfect for the job I'd say

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try searching for 'laboratory balances' instead of scales.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    silverprint sell the salter 1250 for £35, but you can get them from amazon for £10 cheaper. I use them and they are fine, but the tray is a bit small, other than that they're fine. Will cope with up to 250g at 0.1 increments so perfect for the job I'd say
    Thanks for that. It looks like it is OK for me and it is cheaper than the one I just returned. Does it have a calibration system?
    Mark Tomlinson
    Currently using Bronica RF645+65mm, Leica M6, Bessa R2a, Nokton LTM 50/1.5, Zeiss Biogon ZM 35/2.8, Nikon 35mm SLRs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a My Weigh MX300 for two years and it is a great little scale. What was the matter with your's?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I've had a My Weigh MX300 for two years and it is a great little scale. What was the matter with your's?
    The feet were not level so I kept getting an unstable error. The scale would never settle down and then it would give an error message. Calibration made no difference. This was a flipscale F2. I think I just got a dud.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Silverprint stock Salter electronic balances at £30 and £35. Look under Darkroom equipment > Chemical balances

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may find that a quad beam balance is relatively cheap (especially secondhand) and extremely useful for photographic chemical weighing.

I have one which can weigh in 0.01gm increments up to 610gm or with an additional weight set, up to 2610gm.

I also have and use in my work, electronic scales which measure to two and three decimal places. They have varying capacity but they have one annoying feature, they require batteries, as such they have a time cut off feature.

I first used a tray balance system with one tray holding a set weight(s), slow and cumbersome but alright. Eventually I purchased a quad beam and this will be with me until I pass on. When I first acquired electronic scales for work, my immediate reaction was to use them for photographic chemistry, they weren't for me so I went back to my quad beam. It isn't as fast, but it isn't far behind either.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. I will check the quadbeam balances out before I go to silverprint. I remember using these in school (a long time ago...)
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Th Silverprint/Salter one doesnt have a calibration system - its *not* a lab model, its for diabetics I think. Works fine for me though so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin