Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,344   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Recommend a new B&W paper for me

I'm now down to my last two boxes of 11x14 Forte Polywarmtone FB. It will be a sad day when it is all gone.

I know Ilford MG Warmtone FB is a fine paper but it now costs over $100 a box. I can swing that for an occasional print but not as my standard paper.

I'm thinking of switching to a neutral toned paper. I've used Ilford MG FB and I liked it. I still have quite a bit of the RC version on hand. My only objection to it is that it has very little response to selenium toner. I guess I can get over that if necessary but would like some alternatives.

What I want is a glossy surface, white base, neutral (not cold) tone, variable contrast and a paper speed in the neighborhood of Forte PW (which I think is ISO 160 w/o filtration). It would be nice if it would respond to Kodak Rapid Selenium toner with the ability to control the tone desired.

Suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Varycon and Fomatone Classic are an option. Cheap and tone well.
    Guillaume

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want to pick up more Forte paper, when I checked the other week B&H still had it in stock.

- Justin

Shooter
    35mm
    See if you can get Freestyle to start importing ADOX papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I left the Forte stable I bounced around a while trying this and that and settled on Kentmeres' FineArt VC paper for now. It isn't quite what I'm looking for yet but comes in a good second.

A lot of what you ask for in a paper is determined by the developer you use. I'm using the Ilford PQ formula found here on APUG and it delivers luscious blacks and highlight detail just short of paper white.

I think the Kentmere line is sold in small quantities as well as 50 and 100 sheet boxes so it might be worth you while to tray a sample.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just went with the Oriental VC WT FB. Less expensive than ilford WT but I think it is very nice paper. You might try the Oriental neutral tone paper if you really are set on giving up WT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fomatone MG Classic and Adox Polygrade, when you can find the damn stuff!

Come on Martin Reed please start stocking Adox Polygrade, an excellent replacement for Forte's Polywarmtone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I just went with the Oriental VC WT FB. Less expensive than ilford WT but I think it is very nice paper. You might try the Oriental neutral tone paper if you really are set on giving up WT.
    I am under the impression that Oriental ceased production some time ago.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I am under the impression that Oriental ceased production some time ago.
    I think they could call it "reconstituted Oriental"

I have heard it's not quite the same stuff, but I have no experience to verify that. I'm not sure of the actual story. Perhaps someone who has used the "new" and old could chime in.

It's here:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...at_id=&pid=453

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    Fomatone MG Classic and Adox Polygrade, when you can find the damn stuff!

Come on Martin Reed please start stocking Adox Polygrade, an excellent replacement for Forte's Polywarmtone.
    Which paper is that?

Not sure how Adox are coming along with the Polywarmtone replacement, but something close would be superb!

http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX_Pape...lywarmton.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin