Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,309   Online: 1091

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fibre paper curling question

Hello.

I worked wirh FB papers long time ago, but never had next issue: I ordered (among other stuff) box of Ilford MGFB glossy 20x25cm, 100 sheets. Parcel traveled long time (about 1,5 months) problems with idiots in my custom office and transport company. Everything was solved, but when I got products, they were very cold, because of laying in custom storage place for all that time. So, I put it with rest of my papers. Yesterday I saw box was almost open, that is not really open but not comletely closed either. I first thought in custom idiots opened box and put adhesive tape back (by the way, very weak adhesive tape is used, so Ilford... ). So, I went to my darkroom, opened box and by touching discovered papers are curled. Curling of paper caused opening the box. Ok, I returned paper in box, and paper now are waiting to be used. But, I also ordered 2 box 25 sheets of Warmtone FB paper, same size. That paper, as I could see by touching the box stays flat, not curled. Or, if it is curled, not even close as 100 sheet box.

Also, no influence as I could see on Ilford multigrade filters which came in same parcel or films or chemicals (as I can see for now)

So, is that normal, and what can I expect when start to use papers from that box. Of course, I will find out real situation when start to use it, just curiosity made me to ask this.

Thank you.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    Hello.

I worked wirh FB papers long time ago, but never had next issue: I ordered (among other stuff) box of Ilford MGFB glossy 20x25cm, 100 sheets. Parcel traveled long time (about 1,5 months) problems with idiots in my custom office and transport company. Everything was solved, but when I got products, they were very cold, because of laying in custom storage place for all that time. So, I put it with rest of my papers. Yesterday I saw box was almost open, that is not really open but not comletely closed either. I first thought in custom idiots opened box and put adhesive tape back (by the way, very weak adhesive tape is used, so Ilford... ). So, I went to my darkroom, opened box and by touching discovered papers are curled. Curling of paper caused opening the box. Ok, I returned paper in box, and paper now are waiting to be used. But, I also ordered 2 box 25 sheets of Warmtone FB paper, same size. That paper, as I could see by touching the box stays flat, not curled. Or, if it is curled, not even close as 100 sheet box.

Also, no influence as I could see on Ilford multigrade filters which came in same parcel or films or chemicals (as I can see for now)

So, is that normal, and what can I expect when start to use papers from that box. Of course, I will find out real situation when start to use it, just curiosity made me to ask this.

Thank you.
    if it were me haris, I would add moisture to the air some way for a while. Might work and worth a try.

lee\c

Shooter
    35mm
    I use mostly RC papers, not FB, but with the RC papers, it's usually possible to counter most of an unwanted curl by counter-curling -- that is, just before use, roll the paper in the direction opposite the prevailing curl. Just a few seconds does the trick. This gets it to lie flat long enough to print in a borderless easel. If you're using an easel with borders, this might not even be necessary, depending on the degree of curl and the strength and weight of the easel's blades; the blades might force the paper flat while you print. The curl also tends to go away, at least temporarily, when the paper gets wet, so it shouldn't be a big problem when you process it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems to be almost necessary to sent materials to Bosnia by diplomatic private post

I think it will have to do with the moisture and longterm cold influence on the baryta papers.
    Let them for a week on room temperature and then try it again.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My experience with Fibre paper is that (unlike RC paper) it usually is curled to some degree. Some makes and types more than others. I find my easel holds it flat for printing, so I don’t find it to be a problem.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
    It seems to be almost necessary to sent materials to Bosnia by diplomatic private post

I think it will have to do with the moisture and longterm cold influence on the baryta papers.
    Let them for a week on room temperature and then try it again.

Best regards,

Robert
    Robert, yes you are right You would not belive this. Transport company this time did everything they should, but then: They told me they had problems with custom office because custom officer DO NOT BELIVE I AM BUYING AS PRIVATE PERSON!!!!! Simply, some idiot in custom office decided that it is impossibile that someone can have traditional photography as hobby!! No matter that all invoices and custom forms of sender are titled on me as private person, some stupid who got the power in my custom office can't get that into its small brain. This is third time I have same thing to solve. And every time I solve it, but it allways take time, stress, long talks, etc...

Again, thank you all.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin