Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,667   Posts: 1,481,714   Online: 788

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    This one Dan. I'm not very scientific, it just works for me. I often use a little more flo than normal and eyball the amount of rubbing alchohol. The less stuff I do before a printing or processing session, the better (like mixing flo).
    Thanks Eric,
    one other thing - is it ethanol or isopropol alcohol? Also, how much difference does it make in your drying times?

Dan
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i've been using the same small bottle of photo flo since 1981.
    it only takes a few drops, and a bottle will last a lifetime, why go through
    the hassle of re-inventing the wheel ?

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I think I'll just stick to the photo-flo. I didn't know anything about its preservative properties, so I'm glad that was mentioned.

My bottle is getting low. I'm guessing it'll run out in three or four years. To be honest, I did think it was getting low, but I didn't stop to think how little of it I use and how long the remaining solution will last...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    I wouldn't want anybody but photographers to know this, but I have been known to misuse some of their liquid detergent. It's a bit like my pink pajamas. The ones I wear in the summer when it's hot, in the winter when it's not, and sometimes in the springtime, and sometimes in the fall, I jump right in between the sheets with nothing on at all.
    I think that might be more than we needed to know...

Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Actually, I have not used anything but a fresh paper towel or a soft cloth, like an old fashioned diaper, with which I gently remove the surface water film. I have not had any problem with scratches or water marks, or even the mineral content of my well water. If this be treason, make the most of it!
    I have 35 year old negatives that were rinsed in dishwashing liquid in tap water that have no apparent degradation. Still, I'm less inclined to take risks these days, especially since after so many years, I've convinced myself that the pictures I take now are worth more than the ones I took when I first started.

For about 15 years I wiped down my negatives with a cellulose sponge after the Photo-Flo dip. I quit doing that just because it seemed like a good way to wind up with particles rubbed into the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Edwal LFN for me. Photo-Flo always left streaks on my negs. Don't know why. LFN leaves the film pristine.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Edwal LFN for me. Photo-Flo always left streaks on my negs. Don't know why. LFN leaves the film pristine.

Patrick
    It seems like anything that doesn't evaporate completely would leave some residue. That's one thing about liquid dish washing detergent. Anyone who's ever spilled that stuff can tell you it does not evaporate. It just slowly turns into a thick gummy crud. Maybe I should put some Photo-Flo in a dish and see if it evaoporates completely.

I've never tried Edwal LFN. I tried their "no-scratch" stuff on a marginally playable DVD once, though. I thought I was being so clever, but it didn't work, so I used their film cleaner to clean it off. Bad idea. It's no longer marginal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    I agree. For some reason, the Photo-Flo streaks were bulletproof as well.
    I've never had trouble with LFN.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect that Photo Flo does not fully evaporate. However, if you use it as directed it will be sufficient to absorb into the emulsion and vanish when dry.

Photo Flo is mainly the nonionic surfactant called Triton X 100 and either propylene glycol (PF200) or ethylene glycol (PF600). The dilution ratios are different for these versions of Photo Flo, so if you mess up it will leave a residue.

PE

Images
    I don't know the dynamics of negative washing. I'm pretty sure certain substances that are in my well water are not well absorbed by the gelatin, because when I get the surface water off I have no indication on the negatives that the water was anything but distilled. If there is any absorption into the emulsion of the calcium-magnesium compounds that make my water hard, I doubt that a surface rinse would remove it any more completely than a surface wipe. These wiped negatives have been kept for over 30 years with no sign of anything but film base, emulsion and silver. The only times I got any streaking were when I did NOT wipe the negatives. There was a time when I used a sponge squeegee, but found a soft clean cloth to be better. Old-fashioned cloth diapers are my current favorite.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Photo-Flo always left streaks on my negs. "

To avoid streaks, Roger Hicks recommends hanging the film so that water drains to the sprocket holes on one side. It works fine for me. I haven't had to put sprocket holes in my 120 film.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin