Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,698   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Benzotriazole and KBr appearance

I got my order from Photog's Formulary today.

Two items had a surprising appearance...

The benzotriazole wasn't a powder but looked like spun fibreglass - long white strands..is that normal?

The KBr (potassium bromide) was in rocky chunks...I guess if one makes a huge bottle of it, a rock can be weighed & the water volume selected accordingly. I wanted to make a small volume but didn't realize I needed a mortar & pestle.

I have a spice/coffee grinder I plan to use to pulverize acetaminophen...I guess I could do that to have some control over how much chemical. Don't want airborne dust however...

Welcome to DIY, huh?
    Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have benzo from photog's form. It is 'fluffy and needle-like' in appearance. Like cotton-candy almost. I believe it's normal (and really tough to get to dissolve!)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You'll probably get less dust with careful handgrinding with a mortar & pestle than with one of those impossible-to-clean-100% coffee grinders, IMO.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Pinhole
    This machine has a blade rather than a mill/grinder arrangement. I think it would be a good idea to never use it for food again...

I had a mortar and pestle as a kid with a science kit...I wonder what suspicion I would generate buying one these days...no worse than having a garage full of chemicals I guess.

Thanks for the appearance-verification, PPD.
    Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Murray,
    A cheap hotplate from Walmart set on low,low heat will help you dissolve the benzotriazole and is useful for all formulation. If you could find a nice Corning heated stirrer, you will be in formulating heaven. You can probably get a good mortar and pestle at any Asian food market....EC

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Mortar and pestles must be more common over here for kitchen stuff; they seem rather ubiquitous. I know what kind of coffee grinder you're talking about, my parents had/have one of those (and it's hard to get a decent even grind with it) and it does kick up some dust as it's going and when you open the top up.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The appearance of both is normal. The KBr pellets will dissolve with stirring. I've done it by hand, but it's much easier with my magnetic stirrer.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I disolved benzotriazole in denatured alcohol. 1% (1g in 100ml) is 10mgm/ml.
    Disolved easily.

Murray
    Brisbane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Chunky Bromide

get used to it - it will always chunk up. I have a small (3" dia) mortar and pestle devoted to just this chemical. I also ocassionally get a good sized pair of pliers down into my container of it to break up big chunks before I consign the smaller bits to grinding. Most of the time it is easier to make up a 10% solution of bromide in hot distilled water, and then just measure out the required mL to get the weight that a formula calls for. This means the pestle sees only seasonal use when the bromide bottle gets empty.

I deal with the BTZ the same stock solution way except I make it up as a 1% solution, since it is usually needed in such small amounts. Yes the material is certienly finely divided. One purchase of the stuff though, is usually a lifetime supply.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The BTZ if fine; white needle-like appearance, and it will dissolve readily in hot water. As already mentioned, Kbr will always form 'rocks'. It breaks up fairly easily and dissolves very easily too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin