Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,297   Posts: 1,681,484   Online: 907

Shooter
    Medium Format

developer integral in films?

A few years ago, a film developer maker/ Seller (sadly no longer with us) in the UK told me that although there were benefits to be had from pre-soaking films to remove anti-Halation dyes, and all the good things about developer take up and tempering the film, this had the negative (!) effect of removing integral developing chemicals that the manufacturers place on the film to assist in the development process.

This was in response to some problems I was having with a certain film and one of the makers developers. I'd not really thought much about this since, but a discussion on another forum has brought it back to my mind.

I cant find anything on google, here or elsewhere, although I may be searching with the wrong terms.

Does anyone know if this is the case, or is it one of the many myths that go around about film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leon,

I haven't read about development agents being added but did read in a past issue of View Camera mag. about agents (probably 'wetting') being added to films like Ilford's Delta to promote even development. The article refered to the point of a 'pre-soak' being unnecessary as this would remove these agents.

Regards,
    Trevor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are no developing agents added to commercially available films AFAIK. There are papers with incorporated developers.

All photographic products contain wetting agents (surfactants) to assist in the coating operation, but none have any direct effect on processing.

AAMOF, if the wetting agent helped wet the film during development, it would also help wet the film in a prewet, thereby having exactly the same effect.

So, to me, based on experience coating and processing, the OP premise is wrong.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought it sounded odd when told about it - maybe it was a case of an inability/ unwillingness to determine the problem I was having with his developer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin