Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,140   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Large Lith Prints

I hope that this is in the right forum.

I have had a request for a 30x40" lith print from a potential customer. I know that Elevator will do lith prints up to 30x40" but that they want to do at least three negatives at a time. That might be OK for the big guns, but at $400 a pop, a small-timer like me isn't even in the same ball park to pay dollars like that, so I'm looking for alternatives.
    Who can, with some degree of accuracy, somewhat reproduce the look of a lith print I have in a size like that?
    If this order comes through, I'll consider anything, but the results have to be good and, most importantly, be archival.

VERY thankful for any hints.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    How large is your negative?

What type of look are you going for? (any special tone, paper, lith type look)

What are you willing to pay for such a print?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not at least phone Bob Carney and then take it from there. I was at a show opening a couple of weeks ago and after seeing his work could not recommend any one more highly.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gentlemen, thank you for your responses.
    Robert, the neg is 6x6, so the print will actually be 30x30. It's Agfa APX25 so grain is not an issue. The look I'm after is the Fomatone / Macolith warm peach highlights with a hint of green in the low values.
    Richard, I intend to do just that, but I was a bit deterred by the fact that I need to submit three negatives each time I ask for a lith print (that's $1200 out of pocket expense for a $1000 print sale). But I'll give it a whirl all the same. Bob seems like a nice guy, so maybe he'll cut me some slack.

I've attached the image in question, printed as above.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007_Lake_Superior_Foma_014.jpg  

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Thomas

Matching a look that you have*beautiful* by the way is extremely difficult, I do have a tentative order placed with Fotospeed for large rolls, am waiting pricing. Even so they will not be able to deliver until Jan.
    Re the pricing and neg quantity for printing, The chems alone just to set up in large trays for 30x40 production let alone the different steps dictates a full day, I require a minimum amount to make a days work.

I think the biggest problem would be matching the look that you have shown in the attachment, as my combination does not look like what you show. And I do not think that toning will help with a match. Maybe Tim will chip in here with some ideas.
    If you want to wait until my paper comes in , and if you are willing to accept the look that I can achieve with fotospeed and novalith AB , I will include your neg into one of my printing sessions, but the price will have to stay where it is.

Matching others peoples prints is one of the hardest things to do and for me I would rather spend a morning having my teeth drilled out.
    For my shop I prefer to make prints with a look and feel that satisfys me and hopefully my clients buy into what I am doing.

So if I can help I will but it would need to be in Jan/earlyFeb while I am doing some large liths of my own.

bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Its a beautiful print. Just a caution - I've used 4X5 negs for Lith dev enlarging to 12X16 & 16X20; and am very unsatisfied with the loss of sharpness/detail. I've started using 8X10 and 7X17 negs for Lith developed contact prints; and am far more satisfied.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Gentlemen, thank you for your responses.
    Robert, the neg is 6x6, so the print will actually be 30x30. It's Agfa APX25 so grain is not an issue. The look I'm after is the Fomatone / Macolith warm peach highlights with a hint of green in the low values.

I've attached the image in question, printed as above.

- Thomas
    You won't match that pink/salmon on Foma green blacks that you are after, using Fotospeed lith Thomas. It's a different paper emulsion. However, Foma do make Fomatone in rolls of 108 cms (43") x 10M.
    The main problems are paper cost of course, the quantities of chemicals required and the physical issue of a swift snatch point starts to get more difficult when you get to that size or bigger.
    maybe you can talk Bob into buying a roll of Foma too :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Depending on the demands of your client, scanning and reproducing your small print is an option. I guess it depends on what is more important to your client: an original print which may not be exact in contrast and tones, or a reproduction of what you have on hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you everybody for chiming in here. It appears I'd have to try alternate solutions here.

1. Reproduction using evil digital techniques
    2. Just let the printer interpret the negative and live with the results

I'll get with the customer and see how they wish to handle it and what price level they are comfortable with.

Thanks again everybody, it's been a great help to me.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How did things work out?

Hi, Thomas,

How did things work out for this enlargement?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Thank you everybody for chiming in here. It appears I'd have to try alternate solutions here.

1. Reproduction using evil digital techniques
    2. Just let the printer interpret the negative and live with the results

I'll get with the customer and see how they wish to handle it and what price level they are comfortable with.

Thanks again everybody, it's been a great help to me.

- Thomas
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin