Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,776   Online: 931

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa APX & Pyrocat - a No-No?

I have heard on more than one occasion that Agfa APX films and Pyrocat (or PMK, ABC, W2D2, Precysol, whatever pyro there is) is a no-no.
    The other day I developed a couple of rolls of APX 100 and in the past I've developed some APX 400 in Pyrocat-MC and Pyrocat-HD successfully. Nice stain, fantastic grain, and sharp like crazy.

Is there any substance to the claim of those films not suiting pyro developers? If yes, why?

Print from negs attached to view that results indeed are normal.

Thanks for your insight,

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007 Bohemian Flats 001.jpg  
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 12-05-2007 at 10:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Prescycol EF with APX 100 regularly and find the combo works well.

Images
    What was the reason given, if any? Pyrocat MC stain is a bit hard to see on films that have very low base fog, but it's there. If there's any doubt, you can check by making a print on grade 2 paper and another on VC paper with no printing filtration. Based on what I see, you certainly did no harm by using the combination.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thomas, I also heard recommendations not to go for pyro with APX but I can't find it now. I have avoided this combination due to these recommendations even if I have been very tempted to try my bottles of PMK.

What EI did you shoot at? Dev. time and dilution?
    The camera is merely the means of capturing the image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love APX 100 in Pyrocat HD. Lovely stain, great midtones and highlights that in check. I go 2+2+100 for 13 min. 21C.

In fact I'm going out today to shoot a brook in the Adirondacks with that very combo! It's cold, but if you don't wear much, you'll soon not feel it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad I'm not the only one doubting this advice!
    Emil - I shoot Agfa at an EI of 100, I develop using a semi stand technique, or minimal agitation (agitate full first minute, then once ever three minutes; two inversions) for 16 minutes at 70*F at the 1+1+100 dilution. In fact it works so well I wish I had more, but I'm also very satisfied with my results with Tri-X and FP4, so I won't be lamenting the demise of APX 100 or 400 any time soon.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've developed APX 100 in just about every possible developer including several staining ones, and the only combination I don't like is - with rodinal...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I've developed APX 100 in just about every possible developer including several staining ones, and the only combination I don't like is - with rodinal...

Barbarian!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APX 100 in PMK is beautiful. Gorgeous. I can't speak about Pyrocat-HD and this film.

APX 25 doesn't stain much in PMK. I only tried it once.

Pan-F Plus supposedly doesn't stain much in PMK either, and it does have less stain than other films, but I sure like how the negatives print. I have adopted PMK as my standard developer for this film. (I seem to have acquired 200' of the recently-expired stuff from Freestyle... oops. )
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do APX-100 in WD2D Pyro, but I extend the developing time a bit from the published time. I am very pleased with the results.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin