Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,632   Online: 1141

Shooter
    35mm RF

Expired APX questions

In my old photobag that I don't use anymore, I found a small cache of APX 400, that expired late 2005. The bag has been stored in fairly constant room temperature. I'm not expecting this film to be perfect, but I'm wondering how best to use it. How should I expose it, and how should I develop it? Expose normally and push 1/2 stop or something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The film should be fine. The expiry date on film is conservative and well before it is expected to show any deterioration under normal storage conditions. Expose it normally and don't bother with pushing. Examine the negative and the prints made from them to see if there are any issues. If the base density is very high, you'll have to print through it and adjust your developing and printing contrast accordingly. However, I would be very surprised if such is your case.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe there is a good chance the film will be (almost) all right. Expose and process the first film like you used to.

On the other hand, when working abroad in Hungary a few years back I ran out of film and bought a few rolls of APX 100 that had been stored below the counter in a rather warm shop. These films had both coarse tonality and grain and were clearly damaged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just finished a project using Ilford Delta 100 that expired Jan 2006. It was stored in slightly below room temp conditions and the film seemed 100% to me. I doubt you'll have much trouble unless hi temperatures were an issue during storage. Best. Shawn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks, guys! I'll be doing a few shots, then!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin