Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,532   Posts: 1,572,648   Online: 956

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a convert to Kentmere Fineprint VC fibre paper in particular the glossy finish. I use Dektol 1:2 and find I get a really nice image after a minute 15 seconds (it is a fast emulsion) and I have yet to get a bad print.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Agf Neutol at between 1+7 and 1+14 on this paper.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This does sound like a possible safe-light problem. The following is from an old Agfa datasheet for their variable contrast paper:

"Too bright darkroom lighting and/or too long exposure flatten contrast and fog the paper. If different safelight filters are used, the instructions for lamp power, distance between lamp and working surface, lighting angle (direct/indirect) and period of exposure must be followed.
    Sodium vapour lamps, e.g. Osram Duka 50 Universal, are also suitable. However the following test should be made to check whether they can be used.

First briefly expose a sheet of photographic paper evenly over its complete surface, and develop it at once. A slight grey fog must be visible.
    Expose a second sheet for the same time, and then expose it to the darkroom light. Mask steps on the sheet with black paper for thirty seconds, taking at least three minutes for the complete sheet. Then process.
    The light is safe when sheet 1 and sheet 2 have identical grey values.
    If the stages of brightness differ on sheet 2, the denser grey level on sheet 1 indicates the maximum time the paper can be exposed to the safelight concerned.

This test only establishes safety for fogging. Too long exposure to a safelight can however also shift the contrast to "soft" by invisible pre-exposure. For this reason two prints of a negative with medium contrast should also be exposed for the same time. One sheet is developed immediately, and the other after being exposed to the safelight concerned for the specified time. If both prints have the same gradation, the light is competely safe.
    If the second print is softer, remedy this by reducing the lighting power, increasing the distance from the working surface, indirect lighting or a safer filter."

I can assure you this is a problem in small darkrooms as I had problems with Multigrade until I changed my safelight filter.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've just started using Kentmere Fineprint VC recently. My experience is that it has a very different response to contrast filters than the Ilford MGIV papers I have been using.

In split-grade printing, the G5 exposure seems to very easily dull the highlights and so reduce the overall contrast range, whereas with the Ilford papers it has little or no noticeable effect - only serving to draw out the midtones and deepen the dark areas.

I have made a couple of prints with the Kentmere paper which I really like, but also several dull, lifeless prints. It can be done, but it is going to be a learning experience to get the best from the paper.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    In split-grade printing, the G5 exposure seems to very easily dull the highlights and so reduce the overall contrast range, whereas with the Ilford papers it has little or no noticeable effect - only serving to draw out the midtones and deepen the dark areas.
    Ian
    This does sound remarkably like the safelight problem, its almost the same as pre-flashing paper to reduce contrast and is most noticeable when using VC papers at Gd's 4-5

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    This does sound remarkably like the safelight problem, its almost the same as pre-flashing paper to reduce contrast and is most noticeable when using VC papers at Gd's 4-5

Ian
    Hmm, I wonder. The two safelights came with 25W bulbs, which I have been meaning to replace with 15W's but not got around to as it didn't cause a problem with Ilford MGIV and Fomatone MG papers. I'll unplug the light nearest the enlarger this evening and try to repeat one of the dull prints.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a thread about Kentmere VC paper regarding contrast, I wrote:

"In a recent PhotoTechniques Magazine article by Fred Newman that reported on comparasons of several FB variable contrast papers, Kentmere did not do well responding to filters beyond a #3. He wrote: " Their (Kentmere Fineprint VC and Arista II VC FB) contrast range was limited, going from about a soft grade 1 to a hard grade 3-the shortest range of any of these (tested) papers. I measured the IDmaxes at 1.84 for the Arista, and 1.88 for the Kentmere."

Here's a link to the entire thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-25653.html
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    Hmm, I wonder. The two safelights came with 25W bulbs, which I have been meaning to replace with 15W's but not got around to as it didn't cause a problem with Ilford MGIV and Fomatone MG papers. I'll unplug the light nearest the enlarger this evening and try to repeat one of the dull prints.

Ian
    Better to do a safe light test as above or on the Ilford site. Les also describes such a test on his web site. It will give you a safe working time. In my case, with two 15w Ilford 902 fittings sited about 1.6m from my easel, this is about 15 mins with Kentmere paper.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Papers are like people - each is unique, with its own personality and quirks.

In my experience, printing with both Kentmere and Ilford Multigrade in the same session, same chemicals and same safelights, Kentmere seems to be more contrasty requiring a lower grade of filter to produce an equivalent print. It is also a distinctly cooler paper, both in its "neutral" and "warmtone" versions, when compared with Ilford's equivalents.

Based on my observations, I would tend to agree with those who suspect that CJB's problem is either that the package of paper has been fogged, or else he has a problem in his darkroom (safelight, reflections, etc) that is causing fogging.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Dave Miller says do some tests.

My own experiences with Ilford Multigrade about 20 years ago were just as Jovo describes "In a recent PhotoTechniques Magazine article by Fred Newman that reported on comparasons of several FB variable contrast papers, Kentmere did not do well responding to filters beyond a #3. He wrote: " Their (Kentmere Fineprint VC and Arista II VC FB) contrast range was limited, going from about a soft grade 1 to a hard grade 3-the shortest range of any of these (tested) papers. I measured the IDmaxes at 1.84 for the Arista, and 1.88 for the Kentmere."

Changing the safelight filter I got a full range of 0 - 5 Grades, it really was that simple.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin