Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,518   Online: 772

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kentmere Fineprint FB issues

I know the 'foibles' of this paper have been covered before but I would appreciate any comments on the following.

I bought some of this paper in 7x5 to work at a smaller scale than the 8 x 10 I have used before (OK I admit it I've got a 7x5 print dryer/glazer off ebay and want to play ) and I am using my meograd head for VC instead of my old tungsten bulb/filters which I have used before to print on this paper.

This time I just can't seem to get any 'bite' in the image Ive cranked the colour filters to 85M 5Y as suggested on the datasheet for G4 but still no luck. I've exposed far longer than I normally would (and got a darker print :rolleyes: ) but to no avail.

I have tried toning in selenium but it went even muddier (could this be a reaction with the wash aid which I used - I rinsed really well after use) .

Temeperature is controlled in a rotary processor so that can't be the problem . Could I have mixed dev incorrectly , not unknown, would that have given the problem ?

I really liked this paper when last I used it so comments would be really welcome.

Cheers ; CJB
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use Kentmere FP VC FB primarily and have never had any problems with low contrast. I use Zone VI developer 1:3.

Could the culprit be your negatives? If you are like me, your negatives will vary much more than the paper.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ive used this neg before , contrast was ok on other papers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try a different neg that you are familiar with at G4 setting to eliminate the neg as the culprit. Sometimes the same neg prints very differently with a different paper. If you get a similar result, the paper could be fogged, or getting fogged as you print/develop, so check the enlarger for leaks that could be bouncing around during exposure. Next, you could develop an unexposed sheet to check. Set an object on it for a few minutes to check the safelight situation in your darkroom. If the object outline shows, you have a safelight or leak issue, if it doesn't and the paper is fogged, it's the paper. Good luck, I hope these suggestions help, if you haven't already tried them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think I would check for fogging as well. 7x5 is an odd size for FB paper, so it may be old stock. Worth doing the test as JB advocates.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As always thanks for the info. Never even considered fogging .

Cheers CJB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have found that in the community college darkroom I use that I have to lower the safelight or I get fogging problems with Kentmere Fineprint. I don't have this issue with other papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using the two variations of this paper for quite some time now and you just can't get the contrast you can with other papers. Beautiful paper, but that is just the limitation with it. Also it is very sensitive as others have mentioned.

Patrick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah, you should try developing a sheet in total darkness, or a clip from a sheet, then one with your safelight on, and see if there is any difference in the unexposed white of the paper. Can your enlarger not go up over 85m in filtration? I would try cranking it up to 145 or more magenta.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi.
    The Kentmere FB is well known to need a strong developer; so, forget high dilutions and all that "eco"-stuff.

Ethol LPD worked great for me, but so should other high capacity, long-life developers (preferably powder stuff). And do not develop too short, of course.

Kentmere produces prints with as much bite (if not more) as any other quality paper. Just develop it right.

Regards
    Georg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin