Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,061   Online: 1101

Shooter
    35mm

lith printing with Fotospeed

A few years back I had a go at lith printing using Kentmere Kentona (I guess this would have been the 'old' variety) with Fotospeed lith developer. Everything went fine and I got some nice prints.

Recently I have tried lith printing with the same developer (new batch) with some 'old brown' on Kentmere FB warmtone. I have seen some good looking prints in a magazine that were obtained using the Kentmere paper and champion novalith. I use the Kentmere WT a lot for 'conventional' printing. It took almost an hour to get anything visible on the paper and I gave up after 1.5 hrs with a very pale looking print. The paper had 3 x the normal exposure time under the enlarger.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as I would like to use this paper for lith if possible.

Les

Shooter
    Large Format
    Suggest increasing developer strength (I use 25ml of both Fotospeed A & B per liter) . My snatch-times with Emaks & Kentona start at around 5 mins with fresh + old brown.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with Doug. Some papers require stronger developer. I just finished a printing session with Ilford MGIV Warmtone, which is slow in lith, but with a 1+1+30 dilution (100ml A + 100ml B + 3000ml water) I got a finished print in 9 minutes.
    Kentmere Fineprint VC can produce some very beautiful lith prints, gritty and grainy, but it's a very slow paper in lith.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, the dilution and maybe you need a pinch of sulfite. A standard drug-store issue heating pad under the tray also helps speed things up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin