Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,193   Online: 987

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the Wards 1954 Photographic Catalog
    Velour
    DL Velvet White
    Y White Silk
    B Semi Matte
    T Glossy White

Varigam
    R Clossy White single weight
    A White Semi Matte Single weight
    Y Cream White Double Weight
    DL Velvet Grain White Luster double weight

25 sheets 8X10 R cost $1.90, in 2007 dollars about ?

25 sheets of Kodabromide 8X10 cost $1.99.

Any one use Halobome?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm Paul, nice listing, however Dupont Velour Black R2, R3 etc. was not Varigam. Varigam was a variable contrast paper that used filters exactly like Polycontrast from Kodak. The numbers R2, R3 etc. indicate that it is a fixed contrast paper.

Charlie................................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb View Post
    Hmmm Paul, nice listing, however Dupont Velour Black R2, R3 etc. was not Varigam. Varigam was a variable contrast paper that used filters exactly like Polycontrast from Kodak. The numbers R2, R3 etc. indicate that it is a fixed contrast paper.

Charlie................................
    From 1954, the numbers and letters may have changed over the years, you are right Velour was a fixed grade paper the catalog states that you needed to order by contast grade, Wards sold grade 2 and 3.

Varigram is listed as variable contast paper the filters were listed at $4.75.

Velour glossy was T, Varigram glossy was R. I have no idea why DuPont did not use the same catalog system like Kodak did, F was glossy across textures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [

25 sheets 8X10 R cost $1.90, in 2007 dollars about ?

$14.76 in 2007, Wards listed a Contax for $440 or $3879.80 in 2007 dollars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dupont R-2 is a glossy surface and usually single weight.
    In my opinion it is the finest glossy paper ever made. I have not in the past 50 years found anything even close enough to compare it with. This opinion is based on the use of many thousands of sheets of it. I sure do miss it! I used Dektol 1part to 2 parts water 68 degrees. Indicator Stop bath and Kodak fixer diluted 1 to 2.

Charlie...................................
    Thanks so much for this. I'll be sure to post results if it isn't fogged to hell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot to mention that if you are printing on Varigram, Dupont's contrast filters are somewhat differnt from modern filters, the grade 9 and 10 for grade 4 are almost blue and very dense. I dont know how modern filters will work with Varigram. I have a set of Dupont filters, only just retired, that work fine on modern paper in the lower grades but #9 and 10 are useless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul,
    I am afraid I still disagree with the Wards catalog. The Dupont Velour Black paper came in a red/orange box first, then later the color was changed to green. Each box carried a black and white label clearly marked with
    R2 or R3. A "T" was never part of the label of the thousands of boxes of D V B I purchased over a 30+ year period.

I am sure I have prints stored in many of those old boxes, I'll try to locate one and post a pic. Dupont did not have nearly as good quality control as Kodak one emulsion number at times did not exactly match another.
    To circumvent any variation I purchased a 5 thousand sheets at a time all with the same emulsion numbers. The color and tone never varied, but the speed did from batch to batch. If my dealer could not supply the total amount I needed, I was at times forced to buy less untill another run was available. I never even tried the Varigam papers mostly because I never needed a veriable contrast paper, The same with Polycontrast.

Charlie......................................

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I guess at 78 I am a geezer. I loved Velour Black. As I remember, "R" designated a glossy surface and I spent a lot of time keeping my chrome plates clean so the paper would gloss smoothly without spots.
    I still like DuPont papers and have a nearly full box of 500 sheets of Varigam which requires only minute amounts of benzotriazole to purify the whites. I often use it when I have negative with blown out highlights because the paper is essentially pre-flashed.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul,
    I am afraid I still disagree with the Wards catalog. The Dupont Velour Black paper came in a red/orange box first, then later the color was changed to green. Each box carried a black and white label clearly marked with
    R2 or R3. A "T" was never part of the label of the thousands of boxes of D V B I purchased over a 30+ year period.
    It appears that Paul is correct. See here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...TODAY.m238.lVI

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maxbloom,
    The proof is in the photograph it did exist. In more than 30 years using thousands of sheets of DVB I never saw a blue package used for continous tone photographs. But then again, there are lots of things I haven't seen.
    I will send you a photograph of the old boxes I have as soon as I can get pic's of them. Don't have one of them electronic cameras so will have to do it the old fashoned way. What I can guarantee is the Dupont Velour Black that I used was not varigam and most deffinitely was R not T. When you open the package you have be sure to let us know what surface it is. Have fun! BTW, one of the main reasons I used and loved the R surface was due to the wonderful gloss finish you could achieve when Ferotyping them.

Charlie..................................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin