Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,745   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dupont R-surface?

So I just landed some Velour Black R-2. I'll cross the fog-bridge when I get to it. Anyway, I don't have a clue about the surface though. I guess I'll just have to look at it under safelight. I'm a little confused by the letter code. Unblinkingeye's catalog of antique papers lists all Velour Black as having a canvas surface but they don't list any letter designations. I've seen Velour in surfaces, A, T, and R. The article lists Azo R as a linen surface, and all of the other Kodak R's as tweed surfaces. I don't see any letter designations for Dupont papers. I was wondering if you guys have any idea what kind of surface this is.

Thanks.

Edit: I guess I might as well ask the fog question now, as my only one is quite simple. How high a concentration of benzotriazole/KI/KBr in total solution can I have before I too seriously inhibit the developer? That is, does something like an amidol recipe require an excess of anti-fog for this application, and if so, could someone give me a ball-park figure for how much extra anti-fog reagent(s) I can/should try adding.
    Last edited by maxbloom; 12-09-2007 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Your anti-fog requirement will totally depend on the age-fog levels of the paper. You just have to ad little bits of anti-fog to the developer and try a test strip, and add more until you get acceptable (to you) levels of fog, or lack of fog. Adding anti-fog will make your paper less sensitive to exposure to the image under the enlarger..you will have to increase exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. No thoughts on the surface?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh come on people! If nobody here has a clue about this paper then I am SOL.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dupont made papers that most people who used them, remember them very fondly. Unfortunately, most of us (and I am beyond middle age at 57), started darkroom work after DuPont quit making paper, so there will be very very few of us that have any first hand experiences to relate. The oldest papers I remember were some Ansco papers I printed on in the late 1960's. Perhaps DuPont paper was still around, but there was no local photo store that carried it. I was only able to get Kodak, Ansco, Agfa and Luminos during that time period. I used them all. The letter "R" usually means "some" kind of texture, but unless you can find some vintage literature, you will never know "exactly" what it means. I really don't see what the fuss is about. You got some old possibly nice paper. Go into the darkroom and play around with it. If you can get some good prints, great!! If not, then chalk it up to learning.

If you want chemical recommendations, use Kodak Dektol, Kodak Indicator stop bath, or just a weak acetic acid stop bath, and Kodak fix, or Kodak Rapid Fix. All these chemicals were standard back in the day your paper was made, and your paper was designed to work well with such chemicals. If you get age-fog..add Benzotriazole or Edwal Liquid Orthazite (a benzotriazole based anti-fog) to the developer in increments until you like the results.

As far as the texture of the paper. Sacrifice a sheet to the light, and look at it. Compare it to other known paper surfaces and it should be readily obvious what type of texture (if any) it is.
    Last edited by PHOTOTONE; 12-10-2007 at 09:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a box of 20 x 24 Dupont! Haven't had the courage to open it yet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The couple of boxes vintage Dupont paper I found on the internet were all fogged beyond usefulness. You may want to cut a sheet into strips and develop unexposed in Dektol 1:2 1:3 and even 1:4 with an antifog agent to see how much base fog you have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm nearly a geezer and I never saw any Dupont paper, either. You ask about an amidol recipe - you might want to look at Michael A. Smith's enlarging amidol formula. It has extra restrainer. To keep down the yellowing of Kentona and to get the print color I wanted, I added even more KBr. So, my conclusion is that you can add a good bit of restrainer to a good amidol formula. I had to make test strips, so I guess you'll have to do the same.
    juan

DuPont stopped making b/w photo paper around 1972 or so, so your paper is minimally 35 years old... best of luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dupont R-2 is a glossy surface and usually single weight.
    In my opinion it is the finest glossy paper ever made. I have not in the past 50 years found anything even close enough to compare it with. This opinion is based on the use of many thousands of sheets of it. I sure do miss it! I used Dektol 1part to 2 parts water 68 degrees. Indicator Stop bath and Kodak fixer diluted 1 to 2.

Charlie...................................
    Last edited by Charles Webb; 12-11-2007 at 07:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin