Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,611   Online: 928

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As you are using 35mm film, have you thought about buying it in bulk rolls?
    There is an enormous saving to be made and if you can purchase the film cheaper you can make your hobby cheaper, or do more of it.

I use heaps of FP4+ and HP5+ and also use reasonable amounts of Delta 100/400, Fuji Neopan 400 and occasionally Tri-x 320. and TMax 100

If you are quite used to HP5+, then the closest film with a better sparkle would in my opinion be FP4+. Itís a great film and one that I use in 35mm and 4x5 format extensively. The tonal range, compared to HP5+ is quite noticeably better for what I call added sparkle.

Assuming that after shooting and processing 100 rolls of HP5+ you are reasonably good in technique and consistency in processing, as well as being reasonably proficient metering then perhaps you are ready for the slightly tighter exposure and processing techniques for Delta.

Delta is marvellous, but you will have to be careful of technique in comparison to HP5+

Think of HP5+ as a Volkswagen Beatle, it will keep on running day in day out as long as there is something resembling petrol in the tank, it will keep on going.

Delta is more like a high-powered sports car that requires a good selection of high-grade fuel, to get the performance. But what a performance, when itís good, Delta is very good!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use FP4 in 35mm and 2 1/4 sq. Found it better that delta for tonal rendition, delta can be so smooth that it seems "plasticky".
    Develop in ID11 (1+1) and FP4 can be pushed/pulled and generally mistreated and still give reasonable results. Can be a little grainy in 10 x 8 enlargements from 35mm if overexposed or overdeveloped or both, but what do you want?
    Hope this is of some help,
    Regards,
    John.

Shooter
    Large Format

FP4+ Works for Me

FP4+ works for me in all formats from 35 mm to 5x7. I use HP5+ when I need a faster film in the smaller formats and in 8x10 and 7x17 where the extra speed helps when using apertures of f45 and f64. My main use however is with 35 mm, MF and 4x5. FP4+ has served me well developed in Sprint developer (1:9 for 10 minutes using a daylight tank). It is versatile, fairly tolerant of abuse (I do however try to be fairly meticulous with exposure and development), it also provides me with the tonality I seek. It gives me a true speed of at least 125-160 (I shoot at an EI of 125), having densitometer tested it to be approx 160-200 using my equipment, conditions, and technique, making the HP5+ only 1 to 1 1/3 stop faster unless pushed, it also makes it a true medium speed film unlike a lot of the 100 speed films which have to be exposed at an EI of 64 to 80 at least with my equipment and technique.

I have experimented a little with Delta 100 and 400 developed in both Sprint and Ilfotec DDX, and do use occasionally Fuji Acros (EI 80 for me) specially when the convenience of Quickloads is appreciated in 4x5 when traveling, however I have usually returned to FP4+ as a reliable old friend that gives me the results I want.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I haven't tried Foma films, but the Efke 25 is less (???) sensitive to red; you'll have to put a deeper red filter on the lens to get the sky to come out bluer than with ordinary pan films.
    Mostly interested in the 400 speeds and no plans to use red filtering, so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

Efke films are generally considered to be grainier, but I've only tried the 25 and in medium format, so grain wasn't a big issue.
    Ah-ha! That's good news. After 40 years of warring against grain, I have now discovered its aesthetic appeal and purposely cultivate its qualities. On the other hand, some people look at my pictures now and say, "Wow, that is really grainy. Your work has really gone down the shitter!"

Describing the "look" is difficult. I just really clicked with this emulsion with Pyrocat HD. It fell right into place on the first roll. You just have to get past the QC problems: pieces of emulsion missing and light leaks around the paper backing.
    I plan to use Rodinal, but may experiment with Pyrocat as well. The reported quality problems scare me a little, but I've used Efke sheet film and not had any significant trouble. What I find a little odd is that B&H has priced Efke 35mm bulk rolls higher than Kodak or Ilford films. Adding high prices onto a reputation for defects doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.

all I can really say is to try it and see if you like it.
    I included a couple rolls each of Foma and Efke 400 speed films on yesterday's order, so I will try them out over the holidays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Dave Krueger;557217
    What I find a little odd is that B&H has priced Efke 35mm bulk rolls higher than Kodak or Ilford films. Adding high prices onto a reputation for defects doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.QUOTE]

Yeah! I've also noticed higher prices at Freestyle. A few years ago, no one knew about Efke. Perhaps now they are a bit of a boutique film? But then again, all film has gone up in price.

Don't let the QC scare you too much, it's good stuff. Just shoot 2 (3???) of each shot and be prepared to crop out the light leaks around the paper backing ...if you use 120.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Arcady,

with Ilford Delta 100 and Delta 400 you get

- significantly higher resolution
    - better sharpness with developers like Spur HRX-2
    - significantly finer grain
    - better tonal range at great enlargements, because of the finer grain.

You are shooting 35mm. Especially with Delta 100 in 35mm you can get a quality level which is similar to Ilford FP4+ in small medium format 4,5x6 cm.

Delta 100/400 developed in Spur HRX-2 is a dream combination. I don't miss medium format when I am using Delta 100 in 35mm.
    I can highly recommend Delta 100/400. They bring a "brilliance" to your pictures. It's difficult to describe, you have to see it by your own.

Best regards,
    Jana

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use Fp4+ for 4x5.
    Fuji across on roll film.

The thing i like about the across is the sharpness and reprocity factor that starts only beyond 2 minutes...
    I develop both in pyrocat HD (mixed from my own chemicals)

I tried efke 100 on 4x5 before, but did not like that fact that each different emulsion pack could have a difference of 1-2 stops. I had a pack that should be rated at 25 or less...

the fp4+ is available in 100 pieces a box for a very nice price.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=jim appleyard;557275]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger;557217
    What I find a little odd is that B&H has priced Efke 35mm bulk rolls higher than Kodak or Ilford films. Adding high prices onto a reputation for defects doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.QUOTE

Yeah! I've also noticed higher prices at Freestyle. A few years ago, no one knew about Efke. Perhaps now they are a bit of a boutique film? But then again, all film has gone up in price.

Don't let the QC scare you too much, it's good stuff. Just shoot 2 (3???) of each shot and be prepared to crop out the light leaks around the paper backing ...if you use 120.
    prices for film go up because the dollar is dropping...
    here in europe my fuji across film costs still the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To remain objective in an attempt to reply to the original poster's question:

HP5 has less inherent contrast than FP4. If you decide to use FP4 and want similar looking negs you will have to probably overexpose and cut back development significantly with very mild agitation (or the highlight density will build up very rapidly again).
    I'm not too sure about Delta 100, mainly because I may have used maybe ten rolls of it, ever. It seems to have the same beautiful smooth tonal gradations that HP5 does, and may be a film of more familiarity to HP5 than FP4 is, but I cannot tell for sure.

I hope that helps.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    prices for film go up because the dollar is dropping...
    here in europe my fuji across film costs still the same.
    I have no doubt that could have something to do with it, but Ilford and Foma products are subject to the same pressure and they are now cheaper than Efke.
    Last edited by Dave Krueger; 12-12-2007 at 12:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin